Sunday, May 1, 2016

Sunday Afternoon Notions and Novelties Update -OR- Come What May

A blue heron spreads its wings on a rock on the Rappahannock River in Virginia, April 29, 2016. Photo by Theresa Rasmussen and reposted in this CWG entry from the CWG pool Flickr site.

That's a heron of the blue sort, not a Chris sort.

*******

It's nearly 2PM on Sunday afternoon -- May 1st -- as I start this blog entry. I've already lost a significant amount of the day owing to the fact that I got up at 120PM (!) after having gone to bed at 530AM.

I went to bed so late because after going out last night -- to Logan Tavern, Trade, No. 9, and then Nellie's, in that order -- I got home and went online watching various YouTube clips including the following by YouTube user Twin Perflect on all the inconsistencies in the movie Inception:



I would like to salvage at least part of my Sunday -- my one truly free day -- so I'm not going to post much now.

As an update, I had a good, multi-part gym workout yesterday afternoon and then last night, as noted, went to the four places listed above. At Logan, I had the nicest conversation with a young man from Sydney, Australia who had just arrived in D.C. and is staying for one month before going -- for work -- to Austin, Texas for 18 months.

A pretty spring scene taken somewhere in the D.C. area on April 28, 2016 by Flickr user gypsybug and reposted in this CWG entry.

No information is provided on the Flickr CWG pool page of when and where it was taken.

*******

His name was Tristan (I don't think I've previously ever met anybody named Tristan), and although he was deeply interested in the Capitals - Penguins hockey team being shown (silently) on the TVs over the bar, he seemed likewise interested in my things-to-know about living in Washington, D.C., as well "Middle America."


At No. 9, I saw that Beyoncé "Formation" video (above is a screenshot from it), and, subsequently while walking to Nellie's, I couldn't help but think -- and get quite angry ...

... at that Washington Post editorial by Fred Hiatt and his Washington Consensus crowd the day after Hurricane Katrina and ON THE DAY the levees broke and flooded New Orleans, turning it into a lawless Third World cesspool of violence and death -- about how "the federal response so far has been commensurate with the scale of the disaster."

Straight from the lips of Neoliberal World Order Central to God's Ear, I guess, and brought to you by the same SOBs who worshipped Bush and his Iraq catastrophe and vapidly and tendentiously celebrate every "free trade agreement" destruction of the American working class.

Oh, and there's Benji Wittes -- the legal genius of the Washington Consensus -- at the day's BROOKINGS PANEL going on about "the tough choices" and yapping away in support of whatever his Deep State masters want.

Wait, legal genius? What am I saying?? He's more than the legal genius, he's THE MASCOT of the Washington Consensus crowd!

"Yap! Yap! Yap! Drones! Yap! Yap! Yap! Yay, Guantanamo! Yap! Yap! Yap! I love extraordinary rendition! Yap! Yap! Yap! Monica's Dress! Yap! Yap! Yap! Let Clarence Thomas speak! Yap! Yap! Yap!"

Oh, Benji, you're legal genius in a difficult time of endless peace-through-endless war, 1984-style.

*******

Changing subjects, Nellie's was, as usual, mobbed but not as mobbed as it sometimes is. In the end I had a nice time. Recall that I haven't been there since Gary's violent, friendship-ending attack, although the friendship had been ending for quite some time.

The Chipmunk with the strength of a gorilla. I'll call him Chiporilla.

Of note, the bartenders upstairs in the enclosed deck area were all shirtless. Let me just say that Derrick is probably the most attractive bartender I've ever seen in my life. He's magazine model quality. He's also a really nice guy.

A red rose in the rain somewhere in the D.C. area in a picture taken by Nathan Castellanos and posted here on the Flickr CWG pool site.

No information is provided on the Flickr CWG pool page of when and where it was taken.

*******


There are a few more things I want to relate, but I think I'll wait until Monday night after the gym to post those topics. This includes what is looking, alas, like a victory* for the vile reptile Ted Cruz in the Indiana Republican primary on Sunday.

This would draw out the awful and endless primary process and it could potentially create the opportunity for real chaos in the Republican presidential nomination if the Cruz forces try to steal it from Trump (although Trump is still expected to win the GOP primaries in New Jersey and California on June 7th, putting him nearly at his delegate goal).

*Trump has been ahead in a number of polls, but the FiveThirtyEight "polls plus forecast" gives Cruz a significant chance of winning. As for the polls, it excludes that odd outlier from a weird organization IPFW showing Cruz ahead by 16 points in Indiana in a three-way (Cruz-Kasich-Trump) race.

Updated: Wait a minute, I just checked the FiveThirtyEight site again and how it has Trump with a 69% chance of winning, a total reversal from yesterday.

The FiveThirtyEight graph showing the three candidates' odds of winning in the Indiana Republican primary on May 3rd based on the "polls plus forecast" model.

*******

The demagogic Ted Cruz was best described by former House Speaker John Boehner last week as "Lucifer in the flesh" and the most "miserable son of a bitch" he has ever worked with.

To me, he looks like one of those Land of the Lost Sleestak creatures.

Not to worry, though, because Fred Hiatt and Ruth Marcus see the "bipartisan nuance" in every hateful utterance out of Cruz's reptilian, contorted face.

OK, I'm going to stop now as I want to get my day started. I think I'm going to walk over to Washington Harbour area in Georgetown. It's a cloudy, cool day following a showery night last night. The forecast still has intermittent rain showers for most of the week although warmer.


Oh, yes, speaking of things meteorological, the NWS came out with its review of the snowfall totals from the January mid-Atlantic "Snowzilla" snowstorm -- including, most notably, the botched KDCA snow total of 17.8 inches, and OF COURSE, the NWS excused it as the "greatest and most accurate snowfall measurement of all time."

Well, not really, but you can read in this CWG entry and read Jason Samenow's excellent response entry.

As for me, I just want to once again paraphrase once again the great Mrs. Slocombe from the episode where there was supposed to be an in-store boxing match involving Captain Peacock for the honor of the department and instead he and Mr. Lucas and Mr. Rumbold start arguing among themselves why each of them couldn't box the opponent from the other department (played by the real-life professional wrestler Jackie "Mr. TV" Pallo):

"I didn't give up my Saturday afternoon bingo to listen to a bunch of lily-livered FAERIES make EXCUSES!"

Well put. OK, that's all for now.

--Regulus

No comments: