Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Sometimes it May Rain for a Long Period (But That's Quite OK with Me) -OR- Anything to Hold Another Hot & Horrible D.C. Summer at Bay

Rainy night in Paris, January 28, 2014. Photograph taken by Eli Goren on Flickr.

*******

This is a brief after-work update.

I have decided to switch my gym night from tonight (Wednesday) to tomorrow night, and instead I stayed late at work and will make it a (brief) bar night. I'm actually low on money until I get paid on Friday (this is my fault for badly overspending the past few weeks plus May rent was due).

Rainy summer evening, Union Square Park, New York, July 2004.

I've always really liked this picture -- and it just dawned on me it reminds me a touch of Van Gogh's Starry Night even though it is a rainy night.

*******

Here at the office, I'm seated at one of the larger desks and I have my PC plus two monitors up -- for a total of three monitors, each independent (not a duplicate), so seated in this swivel chair, monitors at angles to each other on the "L" shaped desktop, I sort of feel like I'm at the helm of the Starship Enterprise.

Well, no, not really.

I have on ear buds and I'm listening to one of the smooth jazz stations on AccuRadio.com, the particular piece playing right now is one I love -- Keiko Matsui's "Proof" from her 2013 Soul Quest album, and which I featured in this Jukebox Saturday Night entry.

The weather continues to be showery / drizzly and cool. Technically speaking, we are now officially up to 15 consecutive days of measurable (i.e., 0.01" or more) at KDCA, which blows away the old such record for Washington, D.C., although as I pointed out in my previous entry, the amounts have not been of a flooding quantity.

Washington, D.C., top consecutive days of measurable precipitation -- tally through May 10, 2016.

This does not include today (May 11th).

*******

The amount of bellyaching over the cool, damp, gray weather is ridiculous -- as evidenced by the following CWG entries: here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

An umbrella figure in the rain on Pennsylvania Avenue as seen through a wet glass pane, Washington, D.C., April 14, 2015. This picture appears in this CWG entry and was taken by John J. Young.

*******

These were all posted just yesterday and today (so far).

I excluded the ones about how the rain might impact Nationals games and the one about "it has been so horrible and miserable that here is an entry with with pictures of Mr. Sun."

Daily rainfall as measured at Reagan National Airport (KDCA) from April 27 to May 10, 2016.

*******

OK, that's enough of this topic for now -- except to say that I happen to like this kind of weather, especially in place of what we normally get in D.C. from May to early October.

Photo montage by Kevin Wolf and Brian Allen and appearing in this CWG entry.

*******

Last night, I also did not go to the gym (remember that Mondays and Wednesdays are my usual gym nights along with Saturday afternoon). Instead, I met Andrea & Co. in a happy hour at Hawthorne on U Street.

Hawthorne is a new, multi-floor, surprisingly large place with a strange layout and a fourth floor / rooftop deck partially enclosed by a movable glass ceiling. There is also a nice view to the south including of the top of the Capitol dome and Washington Monument. You can also see the edge of my apartment building two blocks away.

I had a really fun time with everybody -- and Imara and Jake were genuinely glad to see me. I was home and in bed by 1130PM-ish.

I'm going to wrap up this entry now but not before linking to this terrific Andrew O'Hehir piece on the three stages of Republican grief in the Age of Trump (link embedded): Pity the poor Republicans: Trapped by Trump between denial, dithering and surrender.

I do want to note this little aside directed at Democrats:

Democrats are busy assuring each other that this week’s batch of shocking polls that show Trump running almost even with Hillary Clinton in several crucial states is an aberration. That's probably true, but count on this: All the Democratic backslapping and high-fiving and "We got this!" is going to give way, long before November, to sleepless nights and bleeding cuticles and chew-marks on the Xanax bottle.

As a caution, reading this on the Salon.com site is difficult because of the relentless and highly intrusive advertisements on that side.

OK, that's all for now. My next planned update will be late Thursday or shortly after midnight Friday.

--Regulus

No comments: