Saturday, May 14, 2016

Saturday Evening Post for May 14th, 2016: The Man Controlling Nothing and It-May-Be-Chilly Weather Update Edition

**This entry was posted May 14, 2016.**

View looking out my kitchen window onto 16th and U Streets and New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 7:30PM May 14, 2016.

*******

Saturday night.

It is a breezy, brisk night -- especially for mid-May -- following a strong cold frontal passage. More on the weather below.

I just finished doing several loads of laundry including some bedding, and I've also completed my jukebox Saturday night edition for this week, which I will post as soon as I complete and post this antecedent update entry.

The backside of the Man Controlling Trade sculpture (Pennsylvania Avenue one), Washington, D.C., 6:48PM May 13, 2016.

*******

I also made it to the gym this afternoon, although I was a bit late because I didn't get up until 3AM after having gone out last night to Floriana, No. 9, and Trade -- in that order -- and drinking dark liquor (in a Manhattan and in a Jameson shot with an off-duty manager) as well as vodka.

Another view of the Man Controlling Trade equestrian sculpture (Pennsylvania Avenue side), Washington, D.C., 6:48PM May 13, 2016.

*******

This followed a sort of impromptu happy hour / early dinner with my co-worker Jonathan at the Vie de France at 600 Maryland Ave SW. (The place has a bar that actually gets busy on Fridays.) Some of the pictures in this entry were taken as Jonathan and I walked to Metro Center on a somewhat circuitous route -- past the Federal Trade Commission building with its ginormous Man Controlling Trade limestone sculptures. (There are actually two -- I'm referring to the Pennsylvania Avenue one).

Full-on view of the Man Controlling Trade equestrian sculpture (Pennsylvania Ave side), Washington, D.C., 6:50PM May 13, 2016.

We should have one called "the Washington Consensus Controlling Trade" -- and feature a diorama of the wasteland of Detroit and North Philadelphia and a bunch of people high on OxyContin in a ramshackled trailer in Harlan County, Kentucky.

*******

Jonathan is leaving for a new job and next Thursday is his last day. He was one of the two dozen of us who jumped ship to the new contracting company when the old one collapsed / dissolved.

As you can see, I drank much too much last night. However, I had a good gym workout including a 6.34 mile jog on the treadmill and weightlifting and a quick core workout followed by an even quicker swim in the pool (which closes at 630PM on Saturday nights).

Yours truly at the base of the Man Controlling Trade equestrian sculpture (Pennsylvania Ave side), Washington, D.C., 6:50PM May 13, 2016.

By the way, it's National Police Week and the Mall area was overrun yesterday evening with police officers from all over the country. Traveling in groups, some where decked out in their full regalia while others were more casually dressed.

And all were carrying their guns, quite openly. It was guns galore in a heat-packing, gun-fetishizing American male psycho-sexual frenzy, everyone a John Wayne.

*******

In between the evening happy hour and going out later at night, I went to the Hair Cuttery on Connecticut Ave to get my hair cut. It was quickly getting to the bushy-moppy stage where even the hair care product I made (and getting harder to find) ceases to work. As my hair grays (eventually turns white, the texture is coarser and it grows in lousy; I have the opposite problem as most men and their male pattern baldness).

Another view of yours truly at the base of the Man Controlling Trade equestrian sculpture (Pennsylvania Ave side), Washington, D.C., 6:50PM May 13, 2016.

*******

At the Hair Cuttery, there was the usual, vexing half hour wait -- even when the place isn't crowded. Furthermore, there was one person ahead of me who was not there -- and then came be-popping up the steps with his wife and small daughter. I managed to have the one guy ahead of me who was seeing a "master stylist" -- the ones who apparently take appointments -- and so he was able to waltz in at his leisure.

Waiting at the Hair Cuttery, Washington, D.C., 7:57PM May 13, 2016.

*******

Things like that ALWAYS happen to me -- and then I get frustrated and angry, feeling hot and tingly under the fluorescent lights, looking ghastly (and invariably somehow involving a young D.C. African American woman and a white male millennial) and with no one EVER on my side and instead it is I against the world, and it's a really mean Washington, D.C., world at that with many megawatts of bad attitude all around. (No, nothing ugly happened here -- just the young woman telling the guy that he was indeed next.)

Waiting at the Hair Cuttery, Washington, D.C., 7:58PM May 13, 2016.

This is the only Hair Cuttery in Washington, D.C., or at least that's my understand.

*******

The young black woman (which oddly long, straight hair and bangs almost in her eyes) who cut my hair, though, was fine.

Truth to tell, I'd buzz-cut my hair myself -- it's always the same with a no. 2 razor -- but I don't have one of those devices.

Oh, and while waiting, my crazy father down in Florida managed to call at precisely the wrong moment -- as he always does. We haven't spoken in weeks, it is impossible to reach him on the phone, and he seemingly intentionally plays weird phone games with me, pretending not to know that I'm calling or texting him.

National Archives and a first quarter Moon in the early evening sky, Washington, D.C., 6:56PM May 13, 2016.

*******

He texted me -- something he rarely does -- earlier in the day to say he would call between 7PM and 8PM, despite the fact I've told him not to call me on Friday or Saturday nights. I kept watching my damn phone to see that he would call -- and he did, at 803PM while I was waiting, annoyed, at the Hair Cuttery. The conversation didn't last too long. I then tried to call him back, and I even texted him, but no reply.

My mother is not like that -- at all.

I just can't believe how far apart he and I have grown.

Turing to the weather ...

Portion of the NWS high-resolution surface weather map for the eastern United States, 21Z (5PM EDT) May 14, 2016.

*******

A strong cold front for this time of year barreled across the Eastern Seaboard this afternoon. There was an extended line of gusty showers and thunderstorms that preceded the frontal passage by a few hours, and I got quite wet walking the short distance to the gym.

Sterling (LWX) NWS radar, standard base mode reflectivity, looped 238PM - 318PM EDT May 14, 2016.

*******

Rainfall totals were light, though, with 0.13" at KDCA, 0.12" at KBWI, and 0.18" at KIAD (through 5PM). However, all the rain of late has brought us back to near or a bit above normal on precipitation year-to-date. (Only KDCA is below -- by 0.42" -- while KBWI and KIAD are above by 1.49" and 1.35", respectively, year-to-date.)

Sterling (LWX) NWS radar, standard composite mode, looped 232PM - 312PM EDT May 14, 2016.

Composite mode shows activity within the clouds as well, so it always looks more dramatic in convective situations.

*******

Skies cleared around 4PM but by 7PM, as the front itself moved through, there were some dramatically looking clouds that made for a lovely sunset but no additional rainfall, at least here in the District.

NWS weather advisories for the United States updated 0213UTC May 15, 2016 (1013PM EDT May 14, 2016).

The legend is not included in this image but all those blues are frost advisories and freeze warnings and (in New York State), freeze watches.

*******

Tonight is forecasted to be breezy and cool with lows around 46F here in D.C., and tomorrow might not get much above 60F under partly cloudy skies with a gusty westerly breeze. Of note, the cold front is the leading edge of a fairly deep upper level trough that is bringing unseasonably cold temperatures to the upper Midwest and northern Great Plains with widespread frost advisories and even freeze warnings in effect.

Dramatic (but ultimately harmless) sky view from my kitchen window, Washington, D.C., 7:23PM May 14, 2016.

*******

Next week, Tuesday and Wednesday are forecasted to be showery around here as a warm front approaches the mid-Atlantic and then stalls with a low pressure system riding along it.

There is still no sign of the disgusting heat, humidity, and haze of a typical shitty D.C. summer. That makes me happy.

OK, I'm going to wrap up this entry -- again skipping the planned political-themed entry since I simply lack the time to do that if I want to go out.

Evening sky with clouds, Millersville, Md., about 745PM May 14, 2016.

My mom took this picture where she lives.

*******

For tonight, I'm going to walk down to Old Ebbitt Grill for dinner and then double back to Trade. For tomorrow -- my one totally free day of the week -- Quill and I are meeting up in Bethesda and will probably go to Mon Ami Gabi.

For next week, I REALLY need to be productive on a major task I am doing in collaboration with one of our partner companies for one of the DOE technology offices. I was not really productive last week -- and I've just gotten a sizable raise, earning more than I ever have by a significant amount. I feel an obligation to do well, esp. given how I was able to transition virtually seamlessly to this job despite the chaos that engulfed my previous employer.

OK, that's all for now. Jukebox Saturday night entry to follow momentarily.

--Regulus

No comments: