Saturday, May 7, 2016

Jukebox Saturday Night for May 7th, 2016: The Burma Road (or Burma-Shave?), Don't Know Why, & Private Eyes Edition

Let's start out with something really nice ...


"Burma Road" by Greg Adams from his album Hidden Agenda (1995)

This is a haunting, melodic, and all-around beautiful piece and this particular video features some truly stunning tropical seaside imagery including some that I assume are places in Southeast Asia including Burma (sorry, Myanmar), especially given the rugged topography. At least one appears to be on the Na Pali coastline of Kauai.


The pictures were so nice that I made eight screen captures during my initial viewing to save as JPEG images for later use, although one is posted directly above.

As for the reference to Burma Road, I could not find if it is in fact the Burma Road of World War II infamy. (Neither Greg Adams nor this song have a Wikipedia article.)

Maybe I should instead look up Burma-Shave.

*******

Anyway, continuing with the melodic and easy pace ...


"Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones from her album Come Away with Me (2002)

This song was actually written a few years earlier by Jesse Adams for his 1999 album Jesse Harris & the Ferdinandos, but Jones's version is the best known one and really made a name for her.

While I have featured it as an embedded YouTube video in two entries back in 2010 and 2011 (the first of which has since been removed from YouTube, probably because Wall-P sent a cease-and-desist letter), I have not featured it in my Jukebox Saturday Night or predecessor Friday Night Musical Interlude series.

*******

Let's wrap things up with an old-school upbeat song ...


"Private Eyes" by the inestimable Hall & Oates from their album of same name (1981)

This was the title track song and one of two number 1 hits from that album.

*******

Looking south down 15th Street from P Street NW, Washington, D.C., on a drizzly, wet, cool night, 11:38PM May 6, 2016.

*******

As the briefest of updates, today, I went to the gym and later grocery shopping. I also did my laundry. For tonight, the usual -- No. 9 and Trade and maybe Nellie's. For tomorrow, I intend to take a walk tomorrow -- and to be out of the damn apartment by 1230PM. Time-permitting, I might post a quick late morning update.

OK, that's all for now.

--Regulus

No comments: