Saturday, April 23, 2016

Saturday Evening Post for April 23rd, 2016: The Overspent, Rented Out, and Frogged Up Edition

**This entry was posted April 23, 2016.**

The house at the corner of W Street and Florida Ave, Washington, D.C., 7:02PM April 23, 2016.

It is technically 1455 W Street NW.

*******

Saturday night.

I just spent two hours working on the BTO peer review Q&A session notes that I must have completed in time for Monday morning (i.e., by Sunday night).

Gratuitous selfie #1: Yours truly in my apartment, Washington, D.C., 7:38PM April 23, 2016.

*******

I still have about 2 to 3 hours of work to go on this, but I'll do it tomorrow late morning / early afternoon. (My notes weren't exactly that great, especially as I am not a subject matter expert on topics such as solid state light, building energy modeling, sensors and controls, and miscellaneous electric loads.) I am referring to the notes I took on April 5th and 6th -- right after my food poisoning nightmare -- that need to be written up.

Gratuitous selfie #2: Yours truly in my apartment, Washington, D.C., 7:38PM April 23, 2016.

*******

I had a good multi-part gym workout this afternoon / early evening.

For tonight, I'm seriously tempted to stay in (something I never do on a weekend night), although I'll probably go to Floriana and Trade for a little while. However, I really can't spend much money. I WAAAAAY overspent last night with a certain friend of mine on the occasion that this friend is leaving D.C. "for good" next week.

1601 16th St NW, Washington, D.C., 7:47PM April 22, 2016.

I once hooked up with guy I met at JRs in my earliest days in the D.C. area and stayed in his basement apartment in that house. That was back in, like, 1994 when I still lived in College Park.

*******

Last night, my friend and I did a whole "circuit" -- Trade, Post Pub, Bottom Line, Old Ebbitt Grill (Old Bar where we also had some after-11PM "happy hour" seafood), and Green Lantern. I pretty much funded the whole night (although I offered to do just that). I won't tell you how much I spent. But it was quite fun.

Highlights included see the wild sight of the wholesale nosy demolition of one of two buildings along the 1100 block of 15th Street, the whole thing illuminated by klieg lights.

One of the two buildings was already a heap of rubble and the other one was being systematically devoured by a giant mechanical device that looked like something out of a Godzilla movie -- with the "head" able to pivot and rotate completely upside down even as it relentlessly tore into the steel and concrete, pulling it apart -- rock-and-boulder sized pieces cascading down.

One of a few low-quality images that I took of the building demolition going on last night,  Washington, D.C., 9:50PM April 22, 2016.

*******

The building already destroyed in a heap of nighttime dark rubble was the old Washington Post building (recall The WaHoPo in this era of Jeff Bezos has moved to swanky new digs on K Street).

It was such a fitting end for a building that was Washington Consensus Neoliberal World Order HQ from the late 1980s through the early 2000s, followed by Ground Zero of Post-9/11 Apologizing and Propagandizing for Deep State Surveillance and Endless Neoconservative Warmongering.

To think of all the "unsigned editorials" (to say nothing of the courtier scribe op-eds) that emanated from 1150 15th Street NW during the halcyon days of the Washington Consensus.

Whether it was Sebastian Mallaby whoring for multinational "free trade" to obliterate the American working class or Benji Wittes going on tendentiously about the Whitewater hoax and later -- and more spectacularly -- Monica's Dress, it was a very good time to be in Washington, D.C., rented out.

And "M.J." was at her Gatekeeping most awesome, making sure only "approved voices" were heard in the then-dominate dead-tree edition.

Fred Hiatt was so proud. He still is.

Oh, and the thrills when Scalia 5 stole the 2000 election for Bush and to pen those "get over it" editorials.Alas, things turned much in the post-9/11 period, but let's save that topic for another time. Why have all the fun now??

*******

The other highlightt was stopping briefly at Bottom Line -- a place that is next to a nightclub called Eden and where a mob of white millennials mixed with the urban African American. Inside Bottom Line, the music was uncomfortably loud and we didn't stay long.

However, we stayed just long enough for the following funny exchange with a 22-year old guy seated at the bar with his friends and a girlfriend or, more likely, a romantic interest in a group next to him.

After some chit chat including guessing his age (I was one year off), he said he wanted to end the conversation with us because he wanted "see what will happen" with the girl he was interested in.


I said to him: "We know what's going to happen. You're going to get married, and your wife is going to turn you into a frog on a lily pad in the suburbs."

He thought that was hilarious (my friend also thought it funny) and wanted to share it with the girl in question, who came up to us. She looked athletic and take-no-bullshit. I declined to repeat it and we just left.

The night was also interesting weather-wise: Humid, mild, breezy, intermittently showery, and low clouds (wanly orange illuminated by the sodium-mercury vapor lights of the city) tearing across the sky like ethereal angels riding the night wind.

A carpet of cherry blossoms from one of the two kwanzan cherry trees that grow in the yard of the small condo building at the corner of 16th and T Streets NW, Washington, D.C., 7:41PM April 22, 2016.

*******

By the time we got to Green Lantern -- a.k.a., the Green Latrine -- I was pretty far gone and at some point, just quickly left without telling my friend or the long-time bartender to whom we had been talking. (I've not heard from him all day, so I don't know what's up with him.)

OK, that's all for now.

Finn in his suburban Atlanta home earlier this month.

*******

For tomorrow -- once I complete the aforementioned session notes -- I would like to take a walk, possibly in Alexandria, otherwise in Bethesda.

Jukebox Saturday night entry to follow shortly ...

--Regulus

No comments: