Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The (Now Calmer) Waters of (This) March -OR- Forward the Spring (and Back Up the Scale)

Union Station as seen from what is called Columbus Circle outside the main entrance, Washington, D.C., 11:38AM March 25, 2016.

I was going to meet my mom there for lunch but she had to cancel owing to the mobs of tourists coming on a delayed MARC train from near BWI Airport.

Of note, the flags were at half-mast (half-staff) because of the ISIS terrorist attacks in Belgium last week that killed 31 people (not counting the attackers) and injured 300+ people.

Also, this entry contains some topically-unrelated around-town ones of the sort I tend to post.

*******

So my recent entries have not really featured much of my usual weather/politics/commentary combo but instead basically have been placeholder ones or brief updates. This has been necessary given the dramatic changes in my life -- a sudden new job after my old company collapsed -- and the alterations (including even in the computer I am using).

This is the Memorial to Japanese-American Patriotism in World War II located along Louisiana Ave near Union Station, Washington, D.C., around 1130AM March 25, 2016.

I didn't even know we had such a memorial in D.C. The names on the wall (blurry in this image) are of the main internment camps.

I suppose it was appropriate that it was raining and the Japanese (Yoshino) blossoms were at peak.

*******

For this reason, I have had no entries noting major events such as the Brussels ISIS terrorist attack, the ongoing GOP presidential primary Donald Trump Show (and the possible reasons for it) as the Republican Party appears (in a startling outbreak of cosmic karmic justice) to collapse on itself (though there is always the chance of a nightmare dystopic Cruz presidency), the Democratic race between Hillary and Bernie, the death of Nancy Reagan, etc.

Yoshino cherry blossoms at peak in what is called Lower Senate Park (between the U.S. Capitol Building and Union Station), Washington, D.C., 11:33AM March 25, 2016.

*******

Things for me, however, have gone back to "normal" with remarkable speed, and I'm happy about that, and so I'd like to resume my "normal" content-and-commentary-heavy blogging.

Alas, it is midnight as I start this entry, and I need to get to sleep in order to be at DOE HQ no later than 930AM tomorrow. For that reason, this entry is basically just another placeholder one.

A couple stands under an umbrella in a brief, heavy rain shower amid the Yoshino cherry blossoms in Lower Senate Park, Washington, D.C., 11:33AM March 25, 2016.

*******

Re. my new job, I wish I could relate more about it -- I'm quite happy with the change, not the least of which reason is that most of my coworkers from the other job came over with me. I also really wish I could relate the story of what happened to that other company, but I cannot do that.

The two years there were steadily more difficult as the company slowly sank and every effort purportedly to "right the ship" made things worse. I'm just glad it's over.

In my new job, I can do lots of client-support technical work and I like that fact.

Yours truly on the Metro Red Line heading from Silver Spring to Dupont Circle, 7:46PM March 27, 2016.

I was returning from a very nice Easter dinner at Quill's parents' house.

*******

OK, turning to the weather ...

My previous entry notwithstanding, it actually was a mostly sunny, windy, dry day as the weather system departed and a front crossed the region with cooler air overspreading behind it by this evening.

Rainfall totals were light -- 0.34" at KDCA, 0.31" at KBWI, and 0.41" at KIAD -- starting at or just before midnight. (To be clear, these amounts refer to the rain in the past 24 hours or so, not what fell on Friday -- as suggested in some of the images in this entry. Those amounts were less than 0.1" at the three airports.)

It's actually a bit blustery tonight with northwesterly winds still gusting to about 20MPH (after earlier daytime gusts to around 40MPH) and skies mostly cloudy. Temps are around 55F but it feels colder with the wind.

Looking ahead, there is no big and (for me) unwanted warm up to early season summery warmth on the horizon. It is forecasted to flirt with 70F by Thursday with another chance of rain while next week actually looks to be outright cool for early April (highs only around 55F).

A Bradford pear tree's white blossoms and a power blue sky backdrop, 1400 block W Street NW, Washington, D.C., around 315PM March 26, 2016.

A word about the 1400 block of W Street NW (which feels sketchy at night): There is section 8 housing there associated with the Capital Manner Cooperative and (surprise, surprise) the smell of pot -- which is basically legal, or at least NOT ILLEGAL is D.C. -- is almost always wafting in the air. I hate that smell.

*******

I did make it to the gym tonight and had my multi-part workout (hour jog, hour weightlifting, 15-minute core, and brief swim).

However, I'm a bit uncertain because my weight has notched back up to 149 pounds (after workout). This is up about 7 pounds from my post-June 2012 return to the gym all-time low. Now it is true that I've put on some muscle mass -- I can definitely see that in my arms -- I don't think it is a full 7 pounds.

Actually, I'm not sure. I just know that I still have what most men in their 40s and 50s have -- a midsection area of flab that is almost impossible to get rid of.

The view outside my Hampton Courts apartment in the 2000 block of New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 6:24PM March 28, 2016.

*******

It is also true that I've sort of relaxed a bit lately my caution in ingesting too much sugar, especially needlessly sugary alcoholic drinks (instead of just vodka sodas). Oh, and I can go through a regular sized jar of Skippy peanut butter in two days. That's can't be good, either, even if there is a lot of protein in it.

I just need to be careful. My gym routine is still a sound one, I think.

Putting it all together, I don't think I'm going to zoom back up to 185+ pounds as I was in June 2012.

The 1300 block of W Street NW, Washington, D.C., 7:07PM March 28, 2016.

This was looking east around sunset and is right outside the YMCA Anthony Bowen where I go.

*******

OK, I'm going to end this entry now. Tomorrow evening is a non-gym night, so assuming I go to one or more of my usual places after work (you know -- Baan Thai, Trade, and/or Floriana), I probably won't post an entry when I get home.

Peace.

--Regulus

No comments: