Monday, February 22, 2016

Brief Monday Morning Update and Some Chait, Silver, and Krugman Good & Interesting Reads

Lovely image, but I've no idea where it was taken or when.

*******

This is just a quick Monday morning update as I need to be a productive worker today ...

Yesterday, I didn't do much of anything.

After getting up about 130PM, I joined Gary, Kristof, and Gloria for a brunch at Trio, but I didn't realize that a fourth person that I can't stand was going to be there, so I didn't stay long. I went across the street to Floriana and talked to Jamie for a while and then sat at the downstairs bar, talking to a fellow named Dale. Thereafter, I went to Trade, where I met up with Roger before going home.

Same comment as above.

*******

Tonight is just a regular gym night. I'm trying to figure out whether to do a Monday/Wednesday schedule or a Monday/Thursday schedule. The latter is preferable for certain reasons (namely, not having my Friday screwed up by having gone out Thursday night) but the former feels better (specifically, because I manage to get to the gym twice during the work week). Saturday afternoon remains more or less a fixed gym day.

I don't want to add a fourth day (as I did last week) because that is simply too much, esp. given the nature of my workouts.

For this week, a significant storm is forecasted for Tuesday and Wednesday with heavy rain (no snow or mix) for the immediate Metro D.C. and Baltimore areas. I'll have more to say about this in a subsequent entry.

Crashing Pacific Ocean surf, Cape Mendocino, Calif.

*******

In the meantime, here are some reading pieces for your consideration:

Jonathan Chait on whether the Supreme Court will effectively cease to exist as a branch of government precisely because American's savage partisan polarization is such that its presidential system is starting to break down (link embedded): Will the Supreme Court Just Disappear?

More immediately in the hurly burly of the Republican presidential primary season pile-up, here is a piece by Nate Silver on the "Trump Optimists" versus the "Trump Skeptics" -- referring to whether Donald Trump will in fact win the GOP presidential nomination: Trump Optimists And Trump Skeptics Are About To Go To War.

The Atlantic Ocean at dusk, Bradley Beach, N.J.

*******

Speaking of Chait, he also had this short piece that I would like to throw into the mix: If Marco Rubio Can't Beat Donald Trump in South Carolina, Then Where Can He?

Oh, and I might as well include today's Paul Krugman one: Cranks On Top.

In short, he argues that Marco Rubio's policy stances reflect the worst kind of crank, fringe beliefs including on economics and monetary policy, but that this just reflects the beliefs of GOP elite that "consist[s] mainly of big donors and the network of apparatchiks at think tanks, media organizations, and so on," even while the party base (as Trump as startlingly shown) doesn't give a damn about GOP orthodoxy.

1800 block of New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 9:17AM February 22, 2016.

Yes, I took this one.

*******

OK, that's all for now. I intend to update the blog tonight, but it might not be a long entry.

--Regulus

No comments: