Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Wednesday Morning Update With (What Else?) Bar, Gym, & Weather Talk

L'Enfant Plaza on a bright, cold winter morning, 10:55AM January 5, 2016

*******

Apologies for lack of an update last night. I went to Trade after work -- actually, I went to Baan Thai first for a quick dinner and then to Trade, where I met Gary. I got home around 10PM, but I was already too tired to compose an entry and was in bed by 1130PM. I guess three large vodka sodas will do that.

For tonight, I am torn in a way that only a gay man could be (even a 40-something permanently single one serving a life sentence in Spaceship Washington, D.C., that amalgam of disparate humanity that makes no sense) about whether to go to the gym or postpone that until tomorrow night.

I try to go three times in a seven day period -- usually, Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday, although I will vary that to Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday at times, and at other times, Monday, Thursday, and Saturday.

In the end, it doesn't, or shouldn't, matter but it is a big deal to me.

Regardless, if I go or don't go will probably determine whether I post an entry tonight or not.

Pacific SW sector composite radar mosaic loop 1138 - 1248UTC January 5, 2016.

*******

There are some things I want to discuss such the weather. This includes the cold but dry weather we've had this week here with (overnight temps as low as 16F at KDCA, 12F at KBWI, and 10F at KIAD) and the big warm ENSO-fueled storms striking California in a steady progression that should finally be making a dent in the years-long massive drought there but causing their own flooding and mudslide problems along the way.

Pacific SW sector composite radar mosaic loop from 1418 - 1528 UTC January 6, 2016.

To be clear, this radar loop is from this morning while the one above is from yesterday -- two different storms in a storm train.

*******

LOX NWS weather info graphic for January 6, 2016.

*******

As for here, I am doubtful there is going to be any snow. Nevertheless, things are looking more promising for snow in Buffalo during that delayed trip there with Gary at the end of next week. The NWS area forecast discussion for Buffalo was quite promising.

6Z 1/6/2016 GFS showing MSLP, 850mb temps., and 12-hr precipitation valid at hour 240 6Z 1/16/2016.

*******

Here is a brief excerpt from this morning's KBUF AFD:

THE LARGE SCALE PATTERN WITH A PERSISTENT MID LEVEL CLOSED LOW SPINNING NEAR JAMES BAY FITS THE SYNOPTIC SCALE CLIMATOLOGY FROM RESEARCH AND EXPERIENCE OF PAST MAJOR LAKE EFFECT SNOW EVENTS EAST OF LAKES ERIE AND ONTARIO. THE INITIAL BATCH OF COLD AIR MONDAY AND TUESDAY MAY BE LACKING MOISTURE...BUT DEEPER MOISTURE WILL ARRIVE FOR MID AND LATE WEEK AS CLIPPERS INCREASE. OBVIOUSLY IT IS STILL FAR TOO EARLY FOR ANY DETAILS ON LOCATION OR INTENSITY...BUT THE LARGE SCALE PATTERN CERTAINLY SUGGESTS POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT... HIGH IMPACT LAKE EFFECT SNOW AT TIMES NEXT WEEK. STAY TUNED!

*******

I also want to post my Arlington Sunday walk pictures and links to at least two different pieces that I read on, yes, Mommie Dearest (yes, I'm still on that kick) and Mike Lofgren's new book on the Deep State that builds on his earlier writing on this topic. Links here, here, and here. (The first two links are from the Washington Blade and are quite slow.)

Anyway, I can't post any of that now, so I'll just sign off.

--Regulus

No comments: