Sunday, January 10, 2016

Sunday Afternoon Update: After the Rain, Before the Cold -OR- Snow-Flavored Buffalo Chips

View from my apartment looking at the nearby other large buildings (the Camden Roosevelt and the behemoth 2112 New Hampshire Ave building that really fronts onto W St) and toward Meridian Hill Park, Washington, D.C., 12:40PM January 10, 2016.

*******

Rather than sitting in front of this computer all Sunday composing an entry that nobody reads, I'm going to postpone that until at least tonight and possibly tomorrow.

I will note, though, that there was a deluge last night across the region as a warm front pushed northward. That warm front is associated with a complex double cold frontal system with the second one ushering in much colder conditions and -- at least for the time being this record warm winter -- a significant pattern change for the eastern United States.

NWS high-resolution surface weather map, northeastern U.S., 15Z January 10, 2016.

*******

There is actually light snow in the forecast for D.C. on Tuesday as a secondary Arctic front blasts through with highs on Wednesday perhaps not even breaking the freezing mark even in the District.

Right now, it's a very mild day with temps. around 62F at the 1PM hour with a gusty southwesterly breeze and low-topped convective cumulus clouds in a rain-washed blue sky.

The Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in standard base mode reflectivity looped from 11:42PM January 9th to 12:24AM January 10th, 2016.

*******

As noted, last night it deluged twice -- and both times I happened to be outside walking in it. The first time was while walking from The Saloon on U Street to Larry's Lounge (about a half mile, maybe a touch more), and the second time while walking home from Larry's Lounge after I cut the night short.

Deluge, U and 14th Streets NW, Washington, D.C., 9:53PM January 9, 2016.

*******

To be clear, I cut the night short because (1) I am quite money constrained this pay period between having had to pay rent and the Buffalo trip (see below); and (2) LL was uncomfortably mobbed owing to a downstairs party.

The Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in standard composite mode looped from 11:42PM January 9th, 2016 to 12:24AM January 10th, 2016.

*******

Anyway, the 3-day observations show following rainfall totals for the 9th and early today (the 10th), most of which fell between 9PM and 3AM:

KDCA: 0.79"

KBWI: 1.01"

KIAD: 1.23"

KDMH: 1.01"

Looking ahead to next weekend's three-day Buffalo trip -- the purpose and intent of which is to see snow -- it is now looking like there will in fact be some snow, potentially significant, in the Sunday-Monday timeframe of next week along with cold temps (highs no more than 25F, lows in the teens Fahrenheit).

NWS grid point icon forecast for Buffalo, Jan. 10 - 14, 2016. Click on image for larger version.

*******

The first localized high-impact lake effect snowfall event of this season is forecasted to occur tonight into tomorrow and then mid-week with a follow-up one while we are there. The events are localized -- determined by the wind direction with respect to the lake (and tend to focus south of Buffalo). Now it is true that this is a week away, and things can change, but so far it looks like it won't be the level of bust that it was last Christmas.


*******

A couple walking in the deluge at U and 14th Streets NW, Washington, D.C., 9:55PM January 9, 2016.

*******

The following is from my draft entry I was composing Friday night but never posted. I'm going to post it here and now (lest I never post it) ...

I went to the doctor today (Friday) to talk to him about the Zoloft (Sertraline hydrochloride) I've been taking for a few weeks now. He said the drowsy side effects are unusual but overall was pleased with what I described as its general efficacy to calm me down.


Of note, the borderline unfriendly nurse who saw me first took my blood pressure and it had a reading of 154/80. The doctor simply did not believe that and when he took it about 10 minutes later, it came in at 132/74. (Recall last time the two measurements were 120/78 and 120/84.)

She also asked me if I smoked (no) or drank (yes), and how many drinks a day.

"I've no idea how to answer that kind of question," I said and she didn't press the issue.

Ha ha

*******

Earlier today (Friday), I had lunch with Andrea. I took her on the same short but pleasant lunchtime trek that I did with DD on occasion (and sometimes do on my own), namely, walking over first to St. Dominic Church and then to 400 Virginia Ave SW -- where I worked for a period back in 2002 during the heyday of my early 30s D.C. life, but at a lousy job that did ended less than a year into it.

A blurry, partial view of the fountains in 400 Virginia Ave SW, Washington, D.C., on Friday afternoon, Jan. 8, 2016.

*******

There is a deli in that building (the Atrium Café) -- although the main reason I go there is to eat beside the complex array of fountains that are in the sunken lobby of the building (usually bringing a Subway sandwich instead from the nearby Subway). Today, we got food at the café and ate beside the fountains.

The building seems only partially occupied but those fountains have been going more or less continuously for at least 14 years. I find the building and its fountain relaxing, albeit a bit strange down there in D.C.'s lost Southwest quadrant.

It was very pleasant.

*******

Another view from my apartment looking to the west-northwest beyond the Brittany, Washington, D.C., 12:40PM January 10, 2016.

*******

Returning to now (Sunday afternoon) ...

OK, that's about all for now. I am going to take a shower, shave, etc., and head outside for the day into the evening. I'm not sure what I'll do. Perhaps I'll ride the Metro ... Isn't it No Pants Day again??

Ha ha

Tomorrow, I'm supposed to get a new stove. It is another gas one except it has an electric start of some sort that will negate the recurring issue I have of having to restart the pilot lights ... This is one of the nice things about living in an apartment and paying rent: Both big and little items get fixed or replaced for free.

OK, that is all for now. My next update might not be until late Monday night or Tuesday.

--Regulus

No comments: