Saturday, January 23, 2016

Snowzilla Update: This Storm Might Just Be a Monster After All ...

Blizzard on Connecticut Avenue, Washington, D.C., 3:22PM January 23, 2016.

This was just south of Dupont Circle after Gary and I had gone to the Mad Hatter and had a wonderful time.

*******

OK, I have to update this blog ...

This blizzard is actually turning out to be an epic one ... After a lull of several hours, the snow picked up tremendously in intensity around 1PM and has been going ever since. I just wanted to note that. I am with Gary at Floriana -- where I am posting this entry.

Sterling (LWX) NWS radar loop in standard base mode reflectivity from 4:30PM to 5:15PM January 23, 2016.

*******

The snow totals across the region are in the 20 to 30 inch range. National Airport (KDCA) itself is at least 17 inches, and I am not sure if it will reach 20 inches. That is a tall order for it. Dulles Airport (KIAD) is already over 24 inches and BWI Airport (KBWI) is not far behind.

My "dream" -- as it were -- is to get KDCA at least to 20.0 inches so we can tie for the 2nd greatest snowstorm ever AND surpass the frickin' 20 inch mark, which has not happened before there (18.7" in the Presidents Day Storm of 1979).

OK, that's all I wanted to say ... Back to drinking and marveling at the snow ...

--Regulus

No comments: