Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Possibly Snowy Buffalo Chip Trip Ahead and "Yes, Virginia, There Really Is Employment ..."

View from my apartment overlooking 16th and U Streets NW, Washington, D.C., 7:44AM January 12, 2016.

The sunlit illuminated building is The Balfour.

*******

Sorry for the lack of updates last night.

It was a non-gym night, so after work, I went to Baan Thai for some dinner (I love the back bar and talking to the owner Tommy and the easy jazz and Big Band music that sometimes comes on). Thereafter, I went to Trade where I met Gary and had several of those large vodka sodas.

Of note, it started to snow briefly outside as the cold air really blasted across the D.C. area.

Yes, there was actually a "trace" of snow at National Airport station (KDCA), so this is the first trace of this winter season and the latest on record. KBWI also recorded a "trace" -- keeping its seasonal total at "trace" while KIAD picked up 0.3 inches, bringing its seasonal total from "trace" to 0.3 inches.

Big, deep snow, eh?

This CWG entry discusses the snow and some images, including from out in Virginia where more fell. (More on Virginia below.)

It is a brightly sunny, cold, blustery winter day with an 11AM temp at KDCA of just 26F and a wind chill of 14F on a gusty westerly wind. KBWI and KIAD are coming in at 25F, so it is a fairly uniform air mass.

The weather forecast for Buffalo where Gary and I are going for this weekend features a sustained chance of snow showers with a lake effect set up on Sunday and Monday as a coastal low pressure pulls away and creates a fetch off the lake (probably concentrated, as usual, in the southern suburbs and into the hilly region south of the city. Gary said he wants to rent an SUV while we are there (Saturday to Tuesday).

NWS point grid icon forecast for Buffalo, New York for January 13 - 17, 2016. Click on image for larger version.

*******

Anyway, I got home last night around 11PM with the duffel bag that Gary is lending me for the Buffalo trip. (My duffel bag is old and threadbare a tear in it, and I haven't been able to get a new one.)

I went to sleep feeling fine (well, moderately imbibed) but somehow in the middle of the night, I came down with a head cold, and I feel like crap today. I was late into work and I'm not sure I'm going to make it through the day. I have an appointment at DOE HQ in a little while, but after that, I might just go home. I'd like to go the gym tonight but that is a bit uncertain, esp. given I had a brief dizzy spell.

Don't want to fall off the damn treadmill or drop a weight.

1300 block of U Street NW, Washington, D.C., 10:54AM January 13, 2016.

Yes, that is an upside -- fainted -- goat image for the Fainting Goat establishment.

*******

Oh, yes, it turns out that my company's D.C. office is closing and we are moving into another office in Rosslyn (Arlington) with another company that my company just acquired. So my commute and daily routine about to change dramatically after 5-1/2 years.


For me that means no more Green and Yellow Line rides between U Street / Cardozo to L'Enfant Plaza Metro stations in the morning and L'Enfant Plaza to either U Street / Cardozo, McPherson Square, or Dupont Circle rides in the evening (on any one& of multiple lines). Rather, I will need to walk to Farragut West -- about a 20 minute walk, I estimate -- and then take the Orange, Blue, or Silver Line to Rosslyn each day in the morning.


As a brief aside, I have avoided any "formal" relationship with the Virginia side of the Washington, D.C., area for 23 years -- except to socialize, shop, or take a bike ride or walk. I've never lived there (and probably never would) and never worked there. Now the latter is about to change. Of note, I can see the Rosslyn skyline from my 5th floor apartment window -- about 2-1/2 miles away.

Oh, yes, tonight is the GINORMOUS Powerball drawing ... No one won last time, so the jackpot is at least $1.5 billion, which is absurd. Unless Andrea buys a joint ticket for us, I'm not going to play.

OK, that really is all for now. I will try to update the blog later tonight.

--Regulus

No comments: