Saturday, January 2, 2016

Jukebox Saturday Night for Jan. 2nd, 2016: The Unforgettable Natalie Cole Edition


In tribute to Natalie Cole, who passed away New Year's Eve at age 65 after an extended period of illness, I think it only fitting to dedicate this jukebox Saturday night entry to her ..


"Unforgettable" in a virtual duet by Natalie Cole and her late father, Nat King Cole

I'm not sure when or where this was filmed or what was the occasion but I assume it was within the last ten years.

*******


Natalie Cole and Frank Sinatra performing Sinatra's hit song "I Get a Kick Out of You"

Again, I'm unsure when or on what occasion this was recorded but I would assume at some point in the mid-1970s.

*******

The above-linked New York Times obituary includes a quote from a June 1993 review in the New York Times by Stephen Holden of her album "Take a Look" that stated the following:

"The biggest similarities between Ms. Cole and her father are in attitude. Instead of working toward catharsis, they aspire to a genteel elegance, balance and good feeling.

"Lyrics are read generally, without regard for their moment-by-moment inner drama. Sad-hearted ballads become dreamy rather than depressing, and uptempo songs invoke a genial exuberance and playfulness without a hint of anger or rebellion. Cushiony enunciation and silky phrasing help give the most aggressive moments a curvaceous grace.

"But where the ultimate direction of the father's singing was an easy chair on a moonlit porch, his daughter's tenser, more brittle singing evokes an urban, indoor setting. To the decorous phrasing of a big band singer she brings a steady current of soul-music sassiness."

*******


A live performance of "I Live For Your Love" by Natalie Cole from her Everlasting album (1987)

*******

As the briefest of updates, I'm skipping my usual Saturday evening post update and instead I'm just going to post this jukebox Saturday night entry. I'll try to post an update tomorrow. Last night was actually a very enjoyable night and, hopefully, tonight will be as well.

Anyway, let's end with something Saturday night upbeat from Natalie Cole (and also from the same Everlasting album) ...


"Pink Cadillac" by Natalie Cole from her Everlasting album (1987)

Yes, I posted this in a previous Jukebox Saturday Night edition, but under the circumstances, I think reposting it is warranted. As I noted there, this song was originally done by Bruce Springsteen and appeared on the "B" side of the "Dancing in the Dark" single released in 1984 but the Natalie Cole more R&B-like version from 1988 really made the song popular.

*******

Rest in peace, Natalie Cole. Your wonderful music lives on.

--Regulus

No comments: