Sunday, January 3, 2016

First Sunday in 2016: Recap of My New Year's Holiday Weekend and Other Stuff

Man walking, 2000 block, New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 2:52PM January 2, 2016.

*******

Sunday early afternoon.

It is a brightly sunny, brisk January day with temps. around 46F at the noon hour. That is slightly above normal for this time of year but no where near the recent absurd record warmth. The pattern has switched to a cool, dry one with no precipitation in sight -- rain or snow. (The operational GFS has shown some coastal storms in the fantasy panel range but they quickly disappear on subsequent runs.)

View outside the Hampton Courts, 2000 block New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., January 2, 2016.

*******

Any snow is unlikely through for at least the next week to 10 days, and I'm skeptical we will have any measurable snow at all this winter, at least here in D.C. proper. Perhaps in February ...

So tomorrow, I head back to work. It feels as though I've been on a holiday altered schedule for a week now, even longer. This is because to some extent, I have been. Tomorrow things should get back to normal, although I have two things to finish on deadline that I had wanted to work on the past few days at home but did not.

Another view of 2000 block New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 2:52PM January 2, 2016.

*******

I am a bit apprehensive about how crowded the gym is going to be in January as a result of the closure of the YMCA National Capital, and already there has been a noticeable influx of new people, although I think that is more just the usual post-holiday surge of new people (or people who are members but never go, which apparently accounts for most gyms' memberships).

Outdoor Christmas tree outside Trio, Washington, D.C., 9:09PM January 1, 2016.

*******

The New Year's holiday weekend was OK. On Friday -- New Year's Day -- I went to dinner at Trio with Fred and then to Floriana to Dito's bar. Interestingly given my recent ponderings and blog entry on that movie, Dito was airing Mommie Dearest on the TV. While I missed about half of it, it was still quite fun to watch with everyone shouting the lines out with the others in the little bar at that hour.

Floriana downstairs bar, Washington, D.C., 10:29PM January 1, 2016.

This is a blurry image but it captures the moment when Joan Crawford attacks her teenage daughter in one of the two worst scenes in the movie. (Yes, I asked Dito if I could post this image.)

*******

Thereafter, I went to Trade, where there was quite a crowd. (The rest of the world, although a Friday night in D.C., was oddly quiet, as if a Monday or Tuesday night, but given it was New Year's Day, maybe that shouldn't have been surprising.) Brian was back in town from New York and we met there. He wanted to go to Southwest D.C. (back to Secrets/Ziegfield's), but I just couldn't afford or justify that.

Last night, after the gym and posting my Jukebox Saturday Night entry, I went to Dupont Italian Kitchen for dinner. (I was supposed to go with Brian to dinner but he went elsewhere instead with Greg and instead sent me a snarky text about meeting me after I had a hotdog and other snack. This was prompted, I suspect, because I said I didn't want to spend $40 to go to Southwest (S/Z) but would prefer to spend it on dinner.) More to the point, I'm sorry I don't live in midtown Manhattan and have a house in northwestern Connecticut.

Anyway, I sat at the bar and there was actually Big Band, Sinatra, and Billy Holiday music playing. It was hard to hear over the din in the restaurant (I was at the little downstairs bar) but it was unmistakable and enjoyable.

The bartender / waiter was also so refined and professional (not to mention so young). Such a contrast from when you-know-who was there and it was chaos. Oh, and there was none of that awful drunken karaoke crap noise that is forever spilling from downstairs from the upstairs bar.

Downstairs, Dupont Italian Kitchen, Washington, D.C., 8:43PM January 2, 2016.

*******


I then went back to Floriana, where Jamie was downstairs (playing a Smartphone game where you have 15 minutes to name as many countries in the world as you can think of):

BURKINA FASO! SÃO TOMÉ AND PRÍNCIPE! EQUATORIAL GUINEA! BHUTAN!

There was really nice lounge music playing and it was all quite nice, except Brian was a half hour late and I was still a bit out-of-sorts. Dito had on (close-captioned) the movie Coming to America, which I had not seen before to the end.

After we left, I headed home in order to get some more money and go back out to Larry's Lounge. However, instead, I just crashed in bed (about midnight) and slept the next 12 hours.

Just as well.

Yours truly in the elevator of my apartment, 2:36AM January 2, 2016. (This was the end of Friday night, then Saturday morning, not Saturday night.)

*******

I've mentioned money a few times in this entry. The issue is that I have / am way overspent and having to pull back my money spending. (As for the Buffalo trip, I've had to ask someone -- I won't say who -- to borrow little money to help cover it.)

I attempted to apply online for a Bank of America credit card, but it appears to have rejected me. This is a topic for another entry, although let me just say that Wall-P would love to hear this.


Thus, if The Staff is reading this, please feed that data into its binary circuits while it purchases online a giant piece of coral dynamited from some distant tropical ocean to be placed next to another Velvet Elvis. However, this is a topic for another entry.

OK, that's all for now.

I'm taking a walk with Dave J. today.

--Regulus

No comments: