Friday, December 25, 2015

Some Lost Notes on Gloomy, Very Warm, & Wet Christmas in Washington, D.C., 2015 (with Pics from Annapolis on Christmas Eve)


Home in a dusty, threadbare, old apartment somewhere in Washington, D.C., on a cloudy, misty, unusually warm Christmas Day. No TV (I got rid of cable in Nov. 2014 and have yet to figure out how to set up the digital antenna) but the window air conditioner is on. Not only that, but the actual a/c chiller is on rather than just the blower.

The fog and the trees at Lake Newport Soccer Field in Reston, Va., December 23, 2015.

This picture was taken by Leanne Wiberg and reposted in this CWG entry.

*******

I am alone right now except I'm having text exchanges with folks including my mom. I have two offers later -- either to go to Quill's parents' house in Silver Spring or with Gary to John L's place out in Arlington somewhere. Ordinarily, I would do the former but I just don't know -- I can only do one of the two owing to (lack of) transportation.

Group dinner picture at the Chart House, Annapolis, Md., 7:24PM December 24, 2015.

Left to right: Ray, Gary, myself, and my mom.

*******

I'm not in that great of a mood because, honestly, I skipped the gym on Wednesday (I'll go tomorrow) and instead I've just been drinking too much each night. It never turns out enjoyable. Last night, following dinner yesterday evening at the Chart House in Annapolis with my mom, Gary, and Ray, I returned to D.C. with Gary and we went to Stoney's (the only place open on P Street) and then to Larry's Lounge (always a mistake).

This is a side street off Cathedral Street in Annapolis, Md., 3:39PM December 24, 2015.

I didn't get the name of the side street. It was 70F at that point on Christmas eve.

*******

The night ended up with me walking home alone in the semi-depopulated city (D.C. really empties out in the days leading up to Christmas and then quickly fills back up by New Years).

The gym is very important to me because it is the only thing keeping me from being a doughy, aging, ashen leprechaun. Instead, it keeps me just an aging, ashen leprechaun. See the difference? My picture should be on a box of Lucky Charms cereal.

The Maryland State House building -- a.k.a., the state capitol building -- in Annapolis, Md., 3:52PM Dec. 24, 2015.

*******

Earlier, Gary and I went to Annapolis and stopped at O'Brien's for -- what else? --  two drinks before heading over to the Chart House to meet my mom and Ray. I was happy that Ray could make it. He is not doing well.

Shops along State Circle, Annapolis, Md., 3:52PM December 24, 2015.

*******

The Chart House was mobbed but we had a seat right by one of the windows looking out onto the harbor. A shallow fog was forming over the water and kept wafting by, occasionally creating wonderful ghostly silhouettes of passing sailing boats back-dropped by the lights on the Naval Academy side.

The bar in O'Briens, Annapolis, Md., 3:58PM December 24, 2015.

The air conditioning was actually on in the restaurant.

*******

Of note, while Gary and I were in O'Brien's -- less than an hour -- the temp. dropped from 71F to 56F as the wind shifted to the east off the water. It was noticeable when we left. This was a very localized effect and it was captured in the Naval Academy's weather observations:

Weather observations for the U.S. Naval Academy station (KNAK), Annapolis Md., for part of Christmas Eve, 2015.

I've highlighted the significant temp drop in one hour -- from 71F to 56F -- as the winds shifted to the east.

*******

As for the warm weather, it's 69F at National Airport at the 1PM hour with a 68F dew point -- kind of crazy this exceptionally warm Christmas season. Another batch of moderate rainfall is approaching with a weather system.

The NWS composite radar loop for the Great Lakes sector, 1708UTC to 1818 UTC December 25, 2015.

*******

Indeed, Sterling (LWX) just issued a flash flood watch for the Baltimore/Washington region and multiple such flood watches and warnings extend back across a wide swath of the southeastern and south central U.S.

NWS advisories for the United States as of 1843UTC December 25, 2015.

I did not include the color-coded legend in this image.

*******

All three regional airport climate stations hit daily records yesterday:

KDCA: 71F
KBWI: 71F
KIAD: 71F

Overnight lows on the 24th were also daily record high minimums (lows):

KDCA: 60F
KBWI: 61F
KIAD: 63F

KIAD obliterated its previous daily record high minimum -- 42F set in 1979 and 2014 -- by 21F.

Furthermore, both the KDCA and KIAD lows set all-time record high minimums for December -- KIAD's previous one was 62F while KDCA's was 59F set on Dec. 22, 2013 and Dec. 5, 1973, respectively.

For today, all three airports are still a touch below their daily record highs of 72F, 72F, and 71F, respectively. KDCA is at 69F, KBWI is at 71F, and KIAD is at 70F. It might be a bit of a challenge to reach these given the overcast and developing rain.

Regardless, the daily record high minimums of 49F, 48F, and 50F, respectively, should easily be eclipsed by 5F to 10F.

The Capital Weather Gang has had a number of entries discussing this: here, here, here, and here. I also wrote about in my previous entry.

OK, that's all for now.

--Regulus

No comments: