Sunday, December 13, 2015

My Two Most Favorite Sci-Fi Movie Scenes of All Time Ever ...

My two most favorite scenes in my two most favorite sci-fi-themed movies of all time ...



The first is from Contact. Apologies for the low quality of the video.

"RIGHT ASCENSION 18 HOURS, 36 MINUTES, 66.2 SECONDS! DECLINATION +36 DEGREES, 46 MINUTES, 56.2 SECONDS! CONFIRM!!"

(The declination units and numbers change slightly between the first and second reading. I think the unit change -- degrees to hours -- is a mistake that somehow didn't get caught.)

"What's the frequency??" "4.4623 Gigahertz -- Hydrogen times Pi! Told ya!"

Alas, I cannot find any clip just beyond this where the media descend en masse on the Very Large Array.

The Gene Siskel and Robert Ebert review is a great one, and not only that, but Siskel twice mentions my other very favorite sci-fi movie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind in which is my other most favorite of scenes of that genre of movies ...

Air Traffic Control Indianapolis Center ...



"Indianapolis Center, do you any have traffic for Ares 31??"

"Ares 31, negative. The only traffic I have is a TWA L-1011 in your six o'clock position range 15 miles and an Allegheny DC-9 in your 12 o'clock position 50 miles ... "

[MUCH AWESOMENESS]


"Ask them if they want to report officially??"

"TWA 517, do you want to report a UFO? Over."

Repeat.

"Negative. We don't want to report."

"Ares 31, do you wish to report a UFO?"

"No, we don't want to report one of those, either."

By the way, here is a terrific interview with Cary Guffey.

OK, that's all for now. Today was a pretty good day. I'll try to update this tomorrow.

Regulus

No comments: