Saturday, November 7, 2015

Saturday Evening Post for Nov. 7th, 2015: More Fall Splendor; Another Visit With Auntie Mame; and Cooler Weather Finally Arrives

**This entry was posted November 7, 2015.**

An unusual and really beautiful view of one of the ancient and gnarled Yoshino "Japanese" cherry trees that grow along the Tidal Basin here in Washington, D.C.: Not at floral spring peak but instead at autumnal peak.

This picture was taken yesterday, Nov. 6, 2015 by Flickr user rishalsomphotography and featured as the lead image in this Capital Weather Gang entry.

*******

Another Saturday evening after another decent Saturday afternoon multipart gym visit that extended for a bit over 3 hours. I am also in a hurry as I am going back over to Fred and Doug's place in the next door Northumberland to watch another movie, but this one is one of my favorites: Auntie Mame.

I never get tired of that movie. My friend Chris T. in Atlanta also is a big fan of that movie.

Screenshot of young Patrick reading all the words he wrote down but did not understand at one of his Auntie Mame's speakeasy parties.

After reading the following: "Libido, inferiority complex, stinko, blotto, free love, bathtub gin, monkey glands, Karl Marx... is he one of the Marx Brothers?" Continuing: "...neurotic, heterosexual ...," at which point she grabs the pad from him and declares, "Oh, my my my my, what an eager little mind. You won't need some of these words for months and months!"

Ha ha

*******

I went a short while ago to the Safeway on 17th Street rather than the little market next door and was able to get a lot more bang for the buck, so to speak. This included some ice cream (three flavored Neapolitan) and a bottle of cheap white zinfandel, although I am hoping that Doug makes me a Manhattan.

Fall splendor in Rock Creek Park in a photo taken on October 31, 2015 by the CWG's Ian Livingston and posted in this CWG entry.

*******

Speaking of Chris, I owe Chris T. an entry featuring pictures of his new dog Finn. He and I had one of our vigorous text exchanges on one of three main topics. We had been on an extended hiatus but are texting again. I actually want to visit him down in Atlanta -- or rather, the Atlanta suburbs -- next spring.

That's about the ONLY reason I would go to Atlanta, but let's save the wherefore and why of that story for another time. As it is, he lives in the suburbs to the north of the city.

The 1500 block of Swann St NW looking from 16th St NW, Washington, D.C., 2:28AM Nov. 7, 2015.

This is one of the side streets between the lettered east-west streets -- in this case, between S and T Streets. It is also lined with ginkgo trees, although I'm not sure if they are the stinky female ones.

I was walking home from No. 9 when I took this. I think Swann Street once was called Pierce Street.

*******

Oh, yes, I should mention that I am going for a VERY brief work-related trip to Pittsburgh on Nov. 19-20th. I'll write more about that as it approaches.

The weather was overcast and much cooler today with some light rain late morning to early afternoon. It looks as though KDCA and KBWI both picked up 0.11" while KIAD had 0.18". Temps were around 57F during the midday period although the high occurred just after midnight following yesterday's 80F record daily warmth.

KDCA's official high for today is 71F set at 1211AM. KBWI's is 68F at 133AM and KIAD's is 67F at 1201AM.

OK, right now I am going to try to post a jukebox Saturday night entry. I'm also cooking dinner as I write this entry.

--Regulus

No comments: