Wednesday, November 18, 2015

A Late Night Update Ahead of My Work Trip to Pittsburgh -OR- Falling Through This November: The Ongoing Series

Colorful fall leaves on a lovely autumn day somewhere off Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, D.C., Nov. 13, 2015.

This picture taken by Flickr user "Erin" and reposted in this CWG entry.

*******

Just a brief midnight hour update with a paucity of images. To be clear, I wasn't even going to update the blog but I'm home now and just about ready for bed.

I had a very hectic day at work -- uncharacteristically, onsite with the client, as I mentioned in my previous entry. I need to go again onsite tomorrow, but I need to leave my apt. even earlier with my duffel bag (I think I can get one more trip out of the old green one before it totally rips apart, though its jet-flying days are over) and computer to drop off in the office before heading over to Forrestal for three hours until noon.

My two co-workers and I are planning on leaving around 2PM to drive to Pittsburgh.


About that, I've mostly packed ahead of time for my 2-1/2 day work trip to Pittsburgh that should last no more than 70 hours, start to finish, maybe even 65 hours. While I'm not thrilled that we are driving there and back, in one way it is good: I don't have to worry about all the stupid, arbitrary, blandly fascistic TSA rules about what you can and can't bring onto a jet married to the pure venality of pretty much anyone of the airlines nickel and diming you to death.

Hahaha ...

*******

I went to the gym tonight, and while I got in a full jog (6.69 miles in 64 minutes), I had a very mediocre, abbreviated weightlifting effort. I was still a bit sore from last night's workout, and I just didn't have the energy. I did go in the steam room for a few minutes and then had a short but pleasant swim.

Besides, even if I didn't get in a good weightlifting routine, it's better than drinking in a frickin' bar.

I'll try to go to the gym once while away. I think the Westin where I'm staying in downtown Pittsburgh has a gym plus a pool. (I'm not going to do a full 3-hour routine, that's for sure.)

As for travelling, I'm just going to say it: I really don't like to do it anymore. I guess I'm becoming an old man. I find it very stressful and worrying, even for something as short as this sort of trip.


My friend Andrew just left for two weeks to go to a friend's wedding celebration in Cartagena. I told him -- repeatedly -- to be careful and cautious. I don't think I could do something like that. The one big exception for my travels is if I went to New Zealand. Having said all that, I do like the actual experience of flying in a passenger jet looking out the window.

The Weather ...

The weather is variably cloud (low clouds) and coolish tonight with temps here in D.C. around 49F. The big weather system bringing such a hodge-podge of stormy weather -- from blizzards to hail storms to flooding rains to tornadic thunderstorms -- across a wide swath of the middle U.S. is chugging eastward.

NWS composite radar national mosaic loop from 0318 to 0428UTC November 18, 2015.

That's 1018PM EST to 1128PM EST on November 17, 2015.

*******

It's still forecasted to bring some heavy rainfall to the Baltimore/Washington area late Wed. into Thursday followed by much chillier weather (even a touch below normal by next week).

Before I sign off, below are three links of pieces I quite like -- two from the CWG's Jason Samenow and one from Jonathan Chait. All links are embedded. The image is from Flickr user "Erin" and was taken off Massachusetts Ave. in NW D.C. on Friday, Nov. 13th, 2015. It is on the CWG photo pool, although unlike the lead image to this entry -- also taken by Erin -- it did not appear in a specific CWG entry. The direct Flickr link is here.

Record-crushing October keeps Earth on track for hottest year in 2015


Why climate change shouldn't be named the top 'threat' to national security


OK, that's all for now. Off to Pittsburgh ...


... actually, off to bed right now.

I'll try to update the blog while I'm away since I shall being bringing the computer.

--Regulus

No comments: