Friday, October 9, 2015

Friday Night Blog Follies: Another Interminable Entry with Topically Unrelated Pictures -OR- Columbus Day Weekend Sale on Autumn Leaves!

Stunning autumnal splendor at Pendleton Point Overlook in Blackwater Falls State Park, West Virginia, Oct. 2, 2015.

This picture was taken by Navin Sarma and posted on his Flickr account and reposted in this CWG entry.

Note 1: The bulk of the pictures in this entry were taken Saturday late afternoon / evening on a walk with Gary down to the Washington Harbour area in Georgetown and back. We later ended up at McClellan's Retreat and then Larry's Lounge, whereupon things got fuzzy. I got home safe and sound, though.

Note 2: When I send these cellphone pics to myself with my new flip-open phone, it does not tell me the time the it was taken but rather the time the picture was sent. If I do not keep the picture in my phone, I then do not have an exact time of the picture. This omission is reflected in the picture captions.

*******

Friday night update.

Actually, I'm approaching the composition of this entry with some dread because I know how quickly these posts spiral out of control in terms of length and complexity.

So I'll do my best to keep it brief, esp. as I would like to get out of the apartment by, say, 930PM and go to No. 9 or perhaps Larry's Lounge. (I'm pretty much solo this weekend, but that's true most weekends.)

A group picture taken at Commissary on P Street here in D.C. in celebration of Gloria's birthday.

Left to right: Dishan, Kristof, Gloria, Gary, and yours truly. I look like a frickin' ashen gray leprechaun.*

This is the first group meal of any sort since this disaster.

*About my looks, I had the following text exchange with one of my best friends:

Me: I just saw a pic of me. Basically, my face luks like it has a flat tire. In fact, that shud be my nickname, Flat Tire Todaro.

BFF: That was super negative. You are highly unphotogenic, as am I, so I totally get the sentiment. However, you don't look in real life like you look in pictures, I promise.


Yes, this is a picture of my dear little Brady that I received last night.

*******

I do want to post a few links and excerpts of political-themed pieces related to the ongoing Republican Party chaos on Capital Hill and the disturbing implications for the country given that such radical crazies -- embodied in the ultimately politically suicidal "Freedom Caucus" -- are calling so much of the shots of one of our two governing political parties.

The terraced fountains at the Watergate Complex, Washington, D.C., Evening, October 3, 2015.

*******

I am beginning to think that we are approaching some sort of Götterdämmerung in terms of what happens when a major political party goes nuts and is controlled by a bizarre mélange of billionaire oligarchs, whack-a-doodle libertarians, and crazy Teabag types.

Washington Harbour and the Potomac River, Georgetown, Washington, D.C., evening, Oct. 3, 2015.

The flood walls had been raised in anticipation of Hurricane Joaquin. Obviously, that did not come to pass but there was enough rain anyway to put the Potomac in borderline flood stage.

*******

Undergirding that is a party "base" consisting of Fox News-and-rightwing-talk-radio-addled paranoid and deeply fearful gun fetishists living in wildly gerrymandered districts for whom the term "full epistemic closure" defines their mindset.

It represents the total triumph of what is correctly called the Conservative Entertainment Complex as driver of the Republican Party, and it simply cannot work and can only lead to disaster.

The fountains at the Washington Harbour, Georgetown, Washington, D.C., 6:24PM October 3, 2015.

Don't splash yourself with water from there after a sweaty summer bicycle ride or else a ginormous security guard will waddle out and yell: YOU CAIN'T BE UP IN DA WO'DAH!

Of course, it doesn't help if you look like a homeless person at that point.

*******

To be clear, I'm not going to follow every nuance of the upcoming debt ceiling-and-government shutdown Republican Party hostage standoffs. Suffice it to say, it would be best if outgoing Speaker Boehner just brings up the two necessary bills and, again, has them pass with mostly Democratic votes. Just put all this off until after the election -- and if a majority, or rather, disproportionately empowered plurality of America actually elects a wall-to-wall Republican government, then so be it.

Given the current chaos following Kevin McCarthy's decision to pull out of the contest of House Speakership, if Paul Ryan doesn't want the Speakership position, then John Boehner may end up caretaker Speaker for quite some time.

Evening storm sky looking at the intersection of 14th and U Streets NW, Washington, D.C., 6:57PM October 9, 2015.

It was lightning quite a bit off to the southeast at that point. As for that new building, I'm not sure what it is -- well, obviously, a new condo -- but I meant, I'm not sure what it will be called.

*******

First, the weather ...

The Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in enhanced base mode reflectivity, 6:40PM EDT October 9, 2015.

*******

The Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in enhanced composite mode reflectivity, 6:40PM EDT October 9, 2015.

*******

A line of t-storms moved through the Baltimore/Washington corridor this evening associated with a cold front that is actually one of two fronts crossing the Eastern Seaboard. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and seasonally cool -- noticeably cooler at about 64F than the upper 70s Fahrenheit highs of the past four days (as recorded at KDCA).

NWS high resolution surface weather map for the Northeastern quadrant of the United States at 2100UTC October 9, 2015.

*******

However, lower 70s F is forecasted for highs for the remainder of the Columbus Day weekend, and after that, the long range (7 to 10 day) forecast doesn't have much going on.

It looks as though this evening's t-storms dropped 0.38" of rain at KDCA plus another 0.02" earlier or 0.40" for the day so far. KBWI had 0.63" in a heavy t-storm plus another 0.01" earlier or 0.64" so far. KIAD had 0.13" in a shorter t-storm KDMH picked up 0.34" and 0.01" earlier or 0.35" for the day so far.

The line appears to have intensified as it reached the immediate Baltimore/Washington corridor.

I don't think there will be much more, if any, for this day. And there's still no real hint of how the winter is going to look.

Wet sidewalk in the 1500 block of U Street NW, Washington, D.C., 6:59PM October 9, 2015.

*******

As a brief update, I had a relatively busy workweek and I made it to the gym on both Monday and Wednesday nights. Last night, Andrea and I went to the Bottom Line pub and had a nice time. Of note, she went camping this weekend in West Virginia with Jake and a group of others, but for an assortment of reasons, I opted not to go.

Thoughts of the Hysterical One and his behavior in materially similar situations also weighed on my mind.

ROCK ON! ROCK ON! [Much shrieking and wild grand-mal palsied facial contortions.]

However, in so doing, I gave up the opportunity to see this ...

Another picture of stunning autumnal splendor amid the mist at Pendleton Point Overlook in Blackwater Falls State Park, Tucker County, West Virginia, October 2, 2015.

This picture appeared in the same CWG entry and was taken by Navin Sharma and posted here on his Flickr account.

Sigh.

*******

The C&O Canal as seen from 31st Street NW, Georgetown, Washington, D.C., 6:29PM October 3, 2015.

*******

Returning to last night, I then went to Floriana where I stayed long enough to watch part of the amazing 1990 documentary Paris is Burning about the "ball culture" of New York City in the mid-to-late 1980s. The part that I find a bit weird is that I was often in New Jersey as a teenager less than 50 miles -- indeed, as the crow flies, about 40 miles -- from this whole world and with no clue of that whole other reality.

A drizzly Georgetown evening as seen from 31st and M Streets NW, Washington, D.C., evening, October 3, 2015.

*******

For this weekend, it's the gym tomorrow afternoon and perhaps meeting Amy for lunch on Sunday. I've no idea what to do on Monday (I have off for the Columbus Day federal holiday). Perhaps I'll take a bike ride, although my bicycle tires need air and the bike itself is in less-than-optimal riding shape.

I'm sort of severely low on money until next Friday.

Wet, gloomy, cool, wonderful dusk, 2500 block of P Street NW, Washington, D.C., 6:51PM October 3, 2015.

This is a the very eastern edge of Georgetown. Of note, Gary and I stopped in a liquor store on P Street and I asked for nips and was told they are illegal in Georgetown. The tone was along the lines of the British, "GET STUFFED, LOSER BOOZER!"

*******

OK, in the interest of time, I am going to try to post my political-themed excerpt and links in another entry tomorrow. I simply do not have enough time tonight to get that formatted with suitable pictures, etc., and still get out of the apartment by 930PM.

Of note, I didn't actually post this entry until 10:01PM, so it took a full frickin' 2-1/2 hours to compose and was every bit as vexing as I knew it would be, all the more so that no one really reads this damn blog.

--Regulus

No comments: