Saturday, September 19, 2015

Jukebox Saturday Night Entry for Sept. 19th, 2015: The Long Overdue Rita Coolidge and Always-Funny Meghan Trainor Edition


"Anywhere Near You" by Russ Freeman from his Drive release (2002)

*******

Here is a song I have been remiss in not posting sooner ...


"(Your Love Has Lifted Me) Higher and Higher" by Rita Coolidge from her Anytime...Anywhere album (1977)

This is a reworking of Jackie Wilson's 1967 song "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher."

I remember this wonderful Rita Coolidge version from my early childhood -- as in, when I was 7 years old with my mom and Ray at SHAPE, Belgium, visiting her from New Jersey for part of the summer. The song was played a lot on whatever Armed Forces radio to which we regularly listened. (Or maybe it was on one of the many vinyl record albums she had.)


Rita Coolidge is kind of awesome. She is still active, and here is her website.

*******

And now for something Megan Trainor fun and Saturday night upbeat ...


"Dear Future Husband" by Meghan Trainor from her debut studio album called Title (2015)

The video that accompanies it is hilarious. The critical reviews of the video and song are also kind of unintentionally funny -- an "aggressively heteronormative message"??

The lyrics are a riot:


"You got that 9 to 5 / But, baby, so do I / So don't be thinking I'll be home and baking apple pies / I never learned to cook / But I can write a hook / Sing along with me / Sing-sing along with me (hey)!"

******

OK, that's all for now.

--Regulus

No comments: