Saturday, May 10, 2014

Jukebox Saturday Night for May 10th, 2014 - "The Travelers Edition"


"The Crossing" by Acoustic Alchemy from the group's American/English release (2005)

*******

It's Saturday night and I got back from the gym (Anthony Bowen YMCA) a short while ago where I had a really good workout. I jogged a full 6 miles in a whisker under 1 hour plus 5 minute cool down. (I don't go very fast on the treadmill but I can do a long duration, which is made easier by the course runs that I've mentioned before -- runs in New Zealand, Utah, and Germany.) I also did weight-lifting and had a good half-hour swim in the pool, which was about as clean as I ever saw it.


"This Must Be For Real" by Euge Groove from his Just Feels Right release (2005)

NOTE: The YouTube clip refers to this song as "Just Feels Right," and this in fact is a song on the 2005 release of same name. However, I think the song featured here is actually "This Must Be For Real" from that same release. Please see this entry.

*******

On Me-TV is the usual Saturday night lineup -- Wonder Woman, Star Trek: The Original Series, and the Svengoolie-hosted monster / sci-fi movie. Over on Antenna TV is a weird movie I had even heard of: First Men in the Moon. Made in 1964, it is an adaption of H.G. Wells' 1901 story The First Men in the Moon. I haven't read the story, so I'm not sure how closely or loosely it is adapted.

The movie begins with a multinational space crew aboard the "U.N. 1" landing on the Moon -- only to discover an old Union Jack British flag and a note stating that someone -- a woman named Katherine Callender -- had already landed on the Moon during the reign of Queen Victoria in 1899. It turns out that her widower, Arnold Bedford, is still alive and tells a fantastic story of an inventor named Joseph Cavor who figured out a way to get to the Moon back in 1899 and took Bedford and Katherine with him.


The story is recounted in a flash back that occupies almost the entire movie and involves discovering and then escaping from a subterranean (sublunarean?) insect-like population -- the Selenites -- that live underground on the Moon. But in the end, the Selenites all die out due to the Cavor inadvertently introducing a common cold virus.

Weird. But it would be a great movie for Svengoolie's show.

As for later tonight, I'm not sure what I am doing.

There was some discussion with Gary and his fellow named Diego at Larry's Lounge last night of going to Secret's tonight -- the "new" one where I've never actually been. However, if that doesn't happen, then I'll just to my usual routine -- No. 9 and Nellie's. I also need either to make or get dinner. I'm leaning toward the latter.

There are scattered showers and thunderstorms across the region tonight but not much as actually fallen (0.16" at KDCA and 0.11" at KIAD today so far; just a trace at KBWI).

It was a warmish, muggy day with high temps in the 77F to 80F range and dew points in the 60F to 65F range.

As for tomorrow, I am going to try to take a bike ride again -- but in a different part of the area and avoiding a repeat of last Sunday's disaster.

OK, let me end this entry with something more Saturday night upbeat ...


"Girlfriend" by Icona Pop from the duo's release This Is... Icona Pop (2013)

What is it about young Europeans coming to America and just gallivanting around deliriously happy, not a care in the world??

*******

I may try to update the blog tomorrow late morning since there are some pictures that I want to post from my Thursday night (mis)adventures.

--Regulus

No comments: