Wednesday, May 14, 2014

"Dandelion Wine" -OR- Backdoor Coastal Fronts and Windy Offshore Farms

A lone dandelion in a large planter filled with grass and clover-like plants outside the DOE cafeteria, Washington, D.C., 2:26PM May 13, 2014.

*******

Weather update ...

Today was a hot and humid day with a high of 92F at KDCA and dew points in the range of 64F to 69F. (Of note, this was the first 90F day at KDCA since April 10, 2013.

The Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in enhanced composite mode reflectivity, 7:43PM EDT May 13, 2014.

*******

In the evening, thunderstorms formed over the northern Virginia piedmont and produced a distinctive outflow boundary that created a new cluster of storms just west of the District by 8PM. HOWEVER, a "backdoor cold front" -- an oxymoronic name, I suppose, -- rolled (oozed) in off the Atlantic Ocean off the New Jersey coast from the northeast and basically held / stopped the storms. That front was associated with a maritime polar (mP) airmass off the mid-Atlantic coast and associated high pressure ridging to the southwest (see weather map directly below).

Close-up high resolution surface weather map of the mid-Atlantic and adjacent regions, valid 3Z (11PM EDT) May 14 (13th), 2014.

*******

While my dinner plans with a certain bartender at Old Ebbitt Grill got cancelled -- yet again -- I went to Trio where I met Kristof and his Polish / Swiss friend M. (whose name I can't write out here because I can't pronounce or spell but who is a urologist in Switzerland). Dinner was fine but the waitress had a bad disposition and she simply ignored me with not even a thank you even after I left her what amounted to a nearly 30 percent tip.  with no manners or courtesy. (There are other wait staff there that I like but this woman, who often waits on the outdoor area, just has a bad attitude.) Well, I GUARANTEE that the next time I see her, I won't leave even a 15 percent tip.

 Oh, and the new interior design has this weir deep orange lighting and the whole kitschy mid-1980s "retro" vibe is gone. I don't like it.


Thereafter, we went to Larry's Lounge where I had a lengthy, complicated time including a wonderful conversation with Bill M. and a nice chat with Gunther.

By the time I walked home, it was a breezy and cool with stratus clouds rolling in from the east/southeast with a wan glow off the low overcast in a "soft city" night.

Dusk with nearby thunderstorm (that never arrived) as seen from Trio at 17th Street looking west down Q Street NW, Washington, D.C., 8:16PM May 13, 2014.

*******

So tomorrow I have an important lunch date that COULD involve an onsite position at HQ (rather than next door) and work involving offshore wind turbine (i.e., wind-farm)-related development efforts that would allow me to use my meteorology. At this point, I just don't know how it will go.

Yours truly in the elevator in my apartment building (Hampton Courts) late at night, Washington, D.C., 1:11AM May 14, 2014.

*******

OK, that's all for now.

--Regulus

No comments: