Saturday, April 26, 2014

Jukebox Saturday Night Entry for April 26th, 2014 Featuring, Yes, "Jukebox Saturday Night" Plus a Couple Other Musical Pieces and Update

The view looking west down T Street near the intersection of 16th Street NW, Washington, D.C., 4:30PM April 26, 2014.

*******

As I don't really have any specific musical videos that I want to post tonight, and because it has been a while since I've actually posted the song Jukebox Saturday Night for my "Jukebox Saturday Night" blog feature, here goes ...


"Jukebox Saturday Night" by Glenn Miller and The Modernaires.

This music video, as it were, was one of the 3-minute "Soundies" made in the 1940s. I'm not sure of the date on this one (if I'm reading the intro fine-print Roman numerals correctly, then it was in 1944). Soundies also eventually featured short skits as well as musical pieces.

"Goodman and Kyser and Miller / Help to make things bright! / Mixin' hot licks with vanilla, / Jukebox Saturday night!"

Actually, I don't believe that I've ever featured Jukebox Saturday Night in a true Jukebox Saturday Night Entry. I posted it as a sort of supplement to my then-regular Friday Night Musical Interlude.

Recall that this Saturday night feature started out on Friday night as imitation-is-the-best-form-of-flattery copy of the great Paul Krugman's Friday night musical entry on his daily must-read blog. (Don't forget that his regular twice-weekly NY Times op-ed columns are also must-read.)

*******


Ragtime piano virtuoso Bryan Wright playing the mournful 1979 piece "Roberto Clemente" by David Thomas Roberts.

This was filmed at the 2012 Central Pennsylvania Ragtime Festival in Orbisonia, Pa. I met Bryan at the 2011 event.

The piece is a tribute to Clemente, a professional baseball player for the Pittsburgh Pirates, who was killed on Dec. 31, 1972 in plane crash while ferrying relief supplies to Nicaragua following a powerful earthquake that struck the Managua area.

As for Bryan Wright, I miss his archived radio shows on the BostonPete.com internet radio show.

He had 150+ hours of just awesome ragtime, blues, big band, and related period music. (That internet site was reorganized and all the radio shows vanished.) He has a website with some radio shows but has not posted any new one since last August.

*******

Because I referenced it in my previous entry ...


"Walkin' on the Sun" by Smash Mouth from the group's Fush Yu Mang album (1997)

*******

A cumulus congestus cloud in the early evening sky above Washington, D.C., as seen from the corner of 14th and W Street NW, 6:52Pm April 26, 2014. I was walking back from the gym.

*******

It's now about 1130PM on a breezy night with scattered light rain showers under mostly cloudy / overcast skies. It's still rather mild (around 65F) but a front passed through and it should be a bit cooler later tonight.

Tomorrow is forecasted to be sunny and seasonably warm with temps around 70F, but next week looks to be cool and wet.

I made it to the gym today though I didn't have enough time to go swimming or get in too much weightlifting, just the 6 mile jog (broken into a 42 minute and subsequent 18 minute segment owing to the treadmill computer crashing as it sometimes does (right there during the New Zealand South Island run in the middle of Kahurangi National Park).

I made dinner, did my laundry, and watched the usual Sci-Fi Saturday Night lineup on Me-TV including now the Svengoolie-hosted monster movie. Tonight it's the 1944 movie House of Frankenstein with its noteworthy lineup of Dracula, Wolf Man, Hunchback, and Evil Scientist (Boo), not to mention Frankenstein himself.

Anyway, tonight, I guess I'll go to No. 9 and Nellie's. As for tomorrow, I'm supposed to go to an afternoon dinner party in Capitol Hill at Tommy and Roni's place. (I don't normally comment on straight couples, but they really go together well.) My plan is to bike there.


OK, that's all for now. I need to do some work at home tomorrow late morning /early afternoon, so I probably won't update this blog until Monday night.

--Regulus

No comments: