Saturday, April 12, 2014

Jukebox Saturday Night Entry for April 12th, 2014: Parker, Perry, and The Big Chair Edition


A solo sax jazz version of the popular song "All The Things You Are" as performed by the great Charlie Parker.

I think this recording was part of Charlie Parker's one-and-only performance as part of The Quintet (Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Charles Mingus, and Max Roach) in a concert known as Jazz at Massey Hall in Toronto on May 15, 1953. Parker himself, of course, died much too soon.

CORRECTION Feb. 4, 2017: The jazz version of "All the Things You Are" is actually called "Bird of Paradise" and this information suggests that this was recorded on Oct. 27, 1948 as part of Session 8 of Charlie Parker's Savoy and Dial sessions, this one involving Miles Davis and the Charlie Parker Quintet.

Honestly, I don't know.

End of Correction.

*******

OK, I posted this song just over a year ago but I love it so much that I need to repost it.


"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" (with original video) by Tears for Fears from their Songs from the Big Chair release (1985).

To repost what I wrote in that entry (including image):

I remember hearing it in the car with my dad and grandma (in the backseat) on a drive from Seattle to Mount Rainier National Park on winding roads through a vibrant evergreen forest on a sunny and wonderful Pacific Northwest summer day in early July 1985 (as part of our cruise to Alaska trip). We had gone there from New Jersey ahead of the actual cruise out of Vancouver, British Columbia.

It's amazing to me how young those two -- Roland Orzabal (right in still frame) and Curt Smith (left in the still frame and so angelic attractive back then) -- were in that video. I believe they were both 24 or 25.

*******

Let's end with an upbeat song featuring a fun video in all its CGI-enhanced dazzlingly colorful and ecologically healthy glory. (Well, it's fun except for the narcissistic safari hunter in the beginning who is quickly offed by a tiger, but this sort of gets back to my point about men in this entry)


"Roar" by Katy Perry from her Prism release (2013)

*******

OK, that's all for now.

--Regulus

No comments: