Sunday, April 13, 2014

Cross-Purposed on an April Sunday Afternoon (With Pictures from Saturday)

The view from my apartment yesterday overlooking New Hampshire Avenue and 16th and U Streets NW, Washington, D.C., 2:04PM April 12, 2014.

*******

It's a bit after the one o'clock hour on a Sunday afternoon -- actually, it's Palm Sunday -- as I start this entry.  I'm at a cross purpose as to what to do today. Gary has invited me to ride with him to Sterling, Virginia to see his mom. She moved here from Boynton Beach, Fla., via a one-year detour in some apartment outside of Charlottesville, Va. I really do like her and would like to see her.

Flowering trees including the Bradford pears and what I think is a weeping cherry in the 1400 block of W Street NW, Washington, D.C., 4:01Pm April 12, 2014. I was heading to the gym at that point.

*******

However, I really want to take a long bike ride today, especially as I sit in a cubicle all day five days a week and my only exercise is jogging in place on a treadmill for an hour three or four times in a seven day period. (Well, that plus followed by some light-to-moderate machine-based weightlifting, and 20 to 25 minutes of swimming, all at the Anthony Bowen YMCA.)

Yours truly looking out of one of my apartment windows around sunset, Washington, D.C., 7:20PM April 12, 2014.

*******

I've tentatively sketched out a route that follows an arc around D.C. from Greenbelt Metro and down to the UMCP campus* to near Chevy Chase and into the District in Friendship Heights. The idea was to put be close enough to a possible evening visit to the Quarterdeck in Rosslyn because Andrea had said she might take a visiting friend there.

*The place where I collected four college degrees and approximately a quarter bmillion dollars in student loan debt all for not much of anything.

Of course, none of this may happen today. However, I am not going to blog interminably and fritter away the day, and no one will contact me.

Another view of yours truly looking out of the same apartment window around sunset, Washington, D.C., 7:24PM April 12, 2014. I was modeling one of my oversized shirts of summertime that never really suit me well. I find winter dressing so much easier.
 
*******


Last night featured my Old Ebbitt Grill, No. 9, and Nellie's three-step. I took my bike rather than walking. It was certainly a nice enough night with a waxing gibbous Moon riding still rather high in the sky (we haven't gotten to the low Moons of summertime just yet).

The Sun sets over the distant jumble of low-to-medium rise buildings that line Connecticut Avenue about three-quarters of a mile away, as seen from my apartment (with the Brittany across the street), Washington, D.C., 7:22PM April 12, 2014.

*******

Today is a variably cloudy, rather warm day with temps already around 81F. The Sun is out but there is a broken cirrus / cirrostratus cloud deck high overhead. It is supposed to rain and get significantly cooler by late in the week, which is fine with me. The trees are flowering / blooming like crazy. At this point, I'm probably going to miss this year's showing of the Yoshino cherry blossoms down on the Tidal Basin. Well, it's not like I haven't seen them multiple times before over the past 22 years.

OK, that's all for now.

--Regulus

No comments: