Thursday, January 9, 2014

"No Man is an Island ... " (though he could be an old seamount stuck in a subduction zone)

The stunningly beautiful coastline -- at once rugged and yet oddly genteel with all carpet of green grass and an old multi-story homestead and a more distant one -- on one of the islands (unsure which one, possibly Havre aux Maisons) that make up Les Îles de la Madeleine (the Magdalen Islands) located at the mouth of Canada's Gulf of St. Lawrence. The islands are part of Quebec.

Honestly, I'm not even sure that this is a real picture as opposed to an altered one. I found the image here.

Map of Les Îles de la Madeleine (the Magdalen Islands), Quebec.

*******

OK, so my intention was to have a low-key entry that does not go on interminably. I had intended to post some follow-up thoughts as the cold wave ends / the polar vortex departs including . I would also like to post a few links to pieces I read on Wednesday that I like. However, it is just too late to write anything.

My work day was OK -- I spent time putting together the Hawaii report glossary with terms related to the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act (wetlands!) and the Hawaiian Archipelago / Emperor Seamount Chain and the "hotspot" under the Pacific plate that forms these islands.

Topographic relief map of the Pacific Ocean floor showing the Hawaiian Archipelago and Emperor Seamount chain (which I've labeled) and other geological features such as rift zones and deep trenches. (I'm unsure if it is "seamount" or "seamounts" (I've seen both ways) but I've decided to use the singular when including the word "chain" -- thus it is similar to "mountain range" versus "mountains.")

The "kink" between the current west-northwesterly and previous north-northwesterly motion of the Pacific plate prominently visible in this topographic map image occurred approximately 40 million years ago around the time that India plowed into the underbelly of Asia, lofting the Himalaya Mountains. The two events are quite possibly related.

The final fate of the eroded and submerged (seamount) remnants of today's Hawaiian Islands -- right up to the top of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa on the Big Island about 80 million years from now -- is to be subducted into the Kuril - Kamchatka Trench off the southeastern coast of the Kamchatka Peninsula beyond the westernmost tip of the Aleutian Islands.

*******

My evening visit to the gym (the Anthony Bowen YMCA) that was fine, except I skipped the pool. I intend to go to the National Capital YMCA tomorrow evening to go into the big pool there. I haven't been there in a while.

I'm home at this late hour in my lamp-lit wee little efficiency somewhere in Washington, D.C. (well, actually, the 2000 block of New Hampshire Avenue). The radiator is hissing away in the corner. I have the window a/c turned on -- but only in blower mode, if only for the white noise.

Bartender at the Beacon Bar & Grill hotel bar, Washington, D.C., 8:23PM January 7, 2014. He was a nice fellow but the place ain't cheap.

I stopped there en route from BlackFinn last night back home. I also stopped at D-I-K, where I met Chris H. and ended up seeing Brady for a bit. Oooh, it was cold last night -- except no snow, so this Arctic outbreak was the usual waste of cold air around here.

*******

Earlier tonight after the gym, I made dinner and did two loads of laundry (it was rather cold down there in the basement of the building) and watching my late night TV, flipping between various old shows on Me TV, Antenna TV, and Hallmark. I caught an old, spooky episode of The Twilight Zone on Me TV (a supernatural morality tale entitled "You Drive").

My next update may not be until Saturday as I'm not sure if I'm taking the computer home tomorrow (that is, later today) and Friday night is the delayed office holiday party at the Reagan Building.

--Regulus

No comments: