Friday, October 4, 2013

The Late Night Blog Entry Essentials -OR- All That Jazz and These Silhouetted Themes


I'm home at this late hour -- already later than I wanted to be up -- eating dinner. I made my usual rice, steamed broccoli and carrots (and mushrooms this time), and fried up Tyson ready-made grilled chicken strips. I'm watching my usual late night TV sitcom reruns (The Golden Girls at present). The window a/c is purring in my dimly lit, wee efficiency. The a/c has not yet leaked any water into the towel I placed on the window sill below it -- but it did leak somewhat in the wee hours this morning (I had a wash cloth there to catch it).

I just completed three loads of laundry, which are now splayed out in a big pile on the floor.

I'm very tired and need to go to bed. Just a few items ...

OK, at this point, I think the USB ports are working again on my work PC -- which I take home almost nightly -- but I stupidly forgot the USB receiver (or whatever that part is called that plugs into the computer), so I'm still stuck using the mouse-less touch pad, which I find very difficult to use. Frequently, the highlighting / right clicking function eff's up and all kinds of things get highlighted and screwed up with the mouse function wholly freezing.

I don't really have much to say tonight except I'm physically exhausted after the gym. I think I'm doing too much cardio at the expense of other useful workouts involving weightlifting and/or swimming. I only did abbreviated sessions of the latter two after jogging 5+ miles / climbing the equivalent of 1,054 feet (if the displays are to be believed). As it is, I'm taking the next two or three days off from the gym.

A silhouetted figure  atop a hill or ridge as seen through a telescopic lens watching / framed by an annular eclipse in Albuquerque, N. Mex., on May 20, 2012.

*******

I'm not going to post any commentary on the ongoing Federal Government shutdown and the current political situation with the (insane / clueless) culprit Republican Party though I point you to this piece by Jonathan Chait and this one by Paul Krugman on their respective blogs.

Turning to the weather, it remains too warm for October (mid 80s F for highs, mid 60s F for lows in the immediate D.C. area) and too flippin' dry although it has gotten more humid (dew points also in the mid 60s F tonight).

NHC 5-day forecast cone track for Tropical Storm Karen, Advisory #4 Issued 10PM CDT October 3, 2013.

*******

The latest GFS run (0Z 10/4) screws us out of any meaningful rain from the remnants of Tropical Storm Karen as the center circulation tracks up the Eastern Seaboard / piedmont after making landfall near Pensacola, Fla. This differs from the earlier runs on Thursday showing a bull's eye of needed precipitation (2 to 4 inches of rain) moving across the D.C. area by late Monday into Tuesday. NHC still has Karen coming ashore right by the Mouth of the Mississippi southeast of New Orleans -- how cosmically ironic and appropriate if New Orleans were struck by a hurricane during a Federal Gov't shutdown -- and then moving to a point near Danville, Va., by 7PM Monday and tracking toward us.

I hate these model runs -- the latest one ALWAYS is the boning one and that always seems to be the one that verifies. And, NO, I don't want a hurricane -- just a dousing of rain.

Of note, to the extent that NOAA is entirely closed, NWS meteorologists including at NHC are working "for free" right now. That's the GOP / Teabagger way.

Sunset through the fantastic-looking silhouetted baobab trees in or near Morondava, Madagascar.

*******

Lastly, I'm trying to get involved in a particular project at work that would allow me to get into more NEPA work but in a very interesting mapping project. As for when we go into Federal Gov't shutdown mode -- the main agency we support -- that is still uncertain, as is how long I would be kept on before being furloughed.

OK, that's all for now. I'm probably not going to update the blog until Saturday evening / night.

--Regulus

No comments: