Saturday, August 3, 2013

Jukebox Saturday Night: Monk & Coltrane; Sting & The Police; and "Sunchyme" Dario G. Edition


"Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane" (the complete album) (1961)

This album was released by Jazzland Records, a subsidiary of Riverside Records. This is the complete album running about 38 minutes with six selections including:

Side one:
1. "Ruby, My Dear" -- 6:17
2."Trinkle, Tinkle" -- 6:37
3."Off Minor"-- 5:15

Side two:
1."Nutty" -- 6:35
2."Epistrophy" (Kenny Clarke, Monk) -- 3:07
3."Functional" -- 9:46

Wow. Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane -- I get tingly just writing their names. (Alas, both of them died more or less tragically.) This is the kind of jazz it would be awesome to hear in a darkened, comfortable club late at night in the city having a dinner and drinks with someone.

*******

Here is one of my favorite songs ...


"King of Pain" by The Police on the Synchronicity album (1983)


"There's a little black spot on the Sun today / It's the same old thing as yesterday / There's a black hat caught in a high tree top / There's a flag pole rag and the wind won't stop ... I've stood here before inside the pouring rain / With the world turning circles runnin' 'round my brain / I guess I'm always hoping that you'll end this reign / But it's my destiny to be the King of Pain ..."

*******

And now for something "Old School" Electronica / Trance 1990s and wonderfully upbeat ...


"Sunchyme" by Dario G. on Sunmachine release (1997)

This video might as well be an ad for the United Colors of Benetton.

OK, that's all for now. My next planned update will be on Monday or Tuesday night.

--Regulus

No comments: