Saturday, September 10, 2011

Stuck in the D.C. Matrix -OR- Rain World Totals

Stunning evening sky in a tropical air mass over the bustling Columbia Heights section of Washington, D.C., 6:30PM, Sept. 9, 2011.

Gary and I went to Target, where I purchased a new foam cushion and bed quilting that are now part of my bedding on the floor -- the big pile of quilts, blankets, pillows, and plush stuffed animals. At this point, I don't think I need an air mattress.

#######

Jersey Shore Non-Visit

Well, in the end, after much too and fro and indecision, the long awaited and much-anticipated summer trip to the Jersey shore -- Wildwood Crest -- did not happen. It was basically my doing to cancel it. Gary and LP both wanted to go but I was very uncertain, concerned about my finances, flummoxed by all the rainy weather this week and a forecast that did not seem ideal for a beach weekend, and instead focusing on the upcoming week-long trip to Florida next month.

Driving past the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception of Perpetual Whoopee Makin' in NE Washington, D.C., earlier this evening, 6:14PM, Sept. 9, 2011.

Gary and I had gone to Col. Brooks Tavern earlier and we were on our way to the Columbia Heights Target.

#######

However, at this Saturday night hour, I sort of regret that I did not go. Gary, LP, and I have gone the past two years in a row to the same motel (the Jolly Roger) and it would have been nice to see the ocean and to be at the Jersey shore.

I guess it was dumb not to go.

Dupont Circle in a soaking early evening downpour, Washington, D.C., 6:24PM, Sept. 8, 2011.

#######

I think Gary, LP, and I are going to take a ride tomorrow in upper Montgomery County or Howard County.

As for my Florida trip, it is a two-part one that includes four days in Flagler Beach with my dad and then the remainder -- after a planned train ride there -- in Deerfield Beach down near Fort Lauderdale. I'm flying into Daytona Beach and out of Fort Lauderdale.

#######

The D.C. Matrix -OR- Neo-Gayo


Anyway, I'm home tonight feeling quite exhausted although I will probably go out a bit later to Larry's Lounge and/or Nellie's.


Earlier I had on a few episodes of Frasier on We TV and Hallmark, but now I'm watching the movie The Matrix being aired on TV Land.  While I've certainly heard of this movie, and even knew the general plot, I never before saw it or its sequels. It is quite an amazing film. 


Oh, yes, speaking of being by the Atlantic seashore and The Matrix ...

... I heard that Mr. Sirius and Oooza the Unloved were both at Rebobo Beach last weekend. 

Apparently, they pranced around in bathing trunks while holding court, acting like the Agents of the D.C.  Gay Matrix (shifted over to frickin' Rehoboth Beach) that they are.

Well, OF COURSE these two would "make their appearance" at Rehomo on Labour Day weekend during which ALL of D.C.'s gay cognoscenti just had to be there.

#######

D.C. Rain World Update -- Final Tally

OK, so our five-day rainy spell in the D.C. and Baltimore area -- and more generally Maryland east of the Allegheny Front, Virginia, Delaware, and north into Pennsylvania -- has ended but not before dropping substantial amounts of rain.

Radar estimated regional precipitation totals.

#######

The rainfall event had some commonalities with the deluges of June 2006 and the June 1972 Tropical Storm Agnes.

The Sterling (LWX) radar in base reflectivity mode, 6:43PM EDT, Sept. 8, 2011.

#######

In the just-concluded case, the numerous bouts of heavy rainfall resulted in flooding and damage and there were several fatalities. The rainfall was caused by a vertically stacked upper level low over the Ohio River valley -- itself the ghost remnant of Tropical Storm Lee -- and a convergent axis / trough that ran from the Tidewater area, up the Chesapeake Bay and into central Pennsylvania. That axis was probably indirectly associated with the proximity of both the upper level low and Hurricane Katia paralleling the Eastern Seaboard a few hundred miles offshore.

Northeastern U.S. quadrant radar mosaic, 2248UTC (6:48PM EDT), Sept. 8, 2011.

#######

Five-day precipitation totals and normals for the usual three regional suspects -- Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), Baltimore/Washington International Airport (BWI), and Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), as well as the Maryland Science Center (DMH) -- are listed below.

The numbers are through 11:59PM Friday, Sept. 9, 2011 ("midnight Saturday, Sept. 10, 2011").

The Sterling (LWX) county warning area (CWA) webpage showing advisories in effect as of 6:39PM EDT, Sept. 8, 2011. I'm not sure why a "Hurricane Warning" was included in the list of advisories. 

#######

DCA
5-day (Sept. 5 - 9): 6.93"
month: 7.09"
departure (normal): +6.09" (1.00")
year: 34.39"
departure (normal): +6.99" (27.40")

BWI
5-day (Sept. 5 - 9): 8.54"
month: 8.70"
departure (normal): +7.61" (1.09")
year: 41.64"
departure (normal): +12.70" (28.94")

IAD
5-day (Sept. 5 - 9): 6.70"
month: 6.88"
departure (normal): +5.81" (1.07")
year: 32.24"
departure (normal): +3.27" (29.07")

DMH
month: 7.23" or +6.08" (1.15")
year: 40.41" or +11.89" (28.52")


Of note, the NWS now has climate normals for DMH, except I don't believe it is a full 30-year record.

A lady jogging with her Great Dane dog in a downpour at the intersection of U and 16th Streets, NW, Washington, D.C., 6:34PM, Sept. 8, 2011.

Oh, yes, I carried my work laptop home in this downpour, but it was wrapped in two plastic bags, placed inside my old Census 2010 tote bag, which was in my backpack that I had on under a jacket and all partially protected by my (small) umbrella.

#######

Looking south down 16th Street, NW, from U Street on a damp, humid night in Washington, D.C., 12:01AM, Sept. 9, 2011. The White House is down there about 1 mile away.

#######

Yours truly back in his apartment at sunset, somewhere in Washington, D.C., 7:09PM, Sept. 9, 2011.

#######

OK, that's all for now. I was going to post some political commentary and links but I think I'll do that in my next entry. Also, it will time for another "geographical extremities" feature in my next entry, which I plan to post in a day or two. 

G'night, hippo.

--Regulus

No comments: