Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday Night Walk-on-Watergate and Reposting of Wild/South Pacific Clip

The Watergate Shops sunken promenade half-wrapped by the Watergate East, Washington, D.C., 8:27PM, March 22, 2010.

This is a digital camera pic of much better quality of the same spot that I have photographed with my old cellphone camera in the past few weeks.

#######

Late Monday night ...

Usually, I would wait until the next calendar day to start a new entry but I think I'll post this one as a late Monday night, March 22nd one.

The garishly fluorescent lit interior produce section of said wee tiny Watergate Safeway at 9:24PM, March 22, 2010.

Earlier tonight I took one of my once or two a week 3-mile round trip walk (1.5 miles each way) down to the Watergate Complex to the Safeway and back rather than going to my 17th Street gayborhood one. The pics in this entry are from that walk.

Embassy Suites Hotel, entrance, 22nd St., NW, Washington, D.C., 8:11PM, March 22, 2010

#######

I'm going to be up again all tonight finishing that darn RIC 2010 report but I'm already about 3/4 finished. I have finished the previous two reports although I have to do some edits on the second one -- involving financial reform proposals and efforts to regulate OTC derivatives and how this could affect proposed carbon markets.

The Watergate East as seen from the corner of New Hampshire and Virginia Avenues and 24th St., NW, Washington, D.C., 8:25PM, March 22, 2010.

#######

My dad sent me $60, which I was able to deposit and immediately withdraw. I've spent just under $11 the past two days. I SHOULD be getting $540 in the next few days for my contracting work ... As for the work I've done in the past 5 days, this should total at least $1240 -- and thus cover my April rent.

My part-time Census job begins soon. The training actually begins on Wednesday and that is paid ($20/hr). I am a bit concerned about the sections of the city where I might be sent as an enumerator. My mom got me worried about this.

The lobby of the Watergate East / Watergate Complex, Washington, D.C., 8:26PM, March 22, 2010

#######

Concerning the Census and doing it here in Washington, D.C. ...

What the city lacks in rightwing fundie religio-craziness, it makes up for in ghetto thuggery and section 8 scariness, at least in parts of Anacostia, Benning Road, Minnesota Ave., NE, Trinidad/Ivy City and the Sursum Corda Cooperative.

I don't think I will be enumerating in those areas.

The bigger news is that there has been another very hopeful sign in the permanent Federal contracting job that I am seeking, but still nothing definitive.

#######

A Hispanic family -- young father and mother and a very little girl holding their hands -- waiting to cross the street at the intersection of U and 16th Streets and New Hampshire Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C., 8:35PM, March 22, 2010.

This was a cellphone camera pic. My cellphone turns 2 years old on Thursday.

#######

The weather today featured some thundery rain showers and approximately 1/2" rain at all three airports -- 0.51" at DCA, 0.49" at BWI, and 0.32" at IAD, respectively, according to the daily climo summaries.

The weather has been warm this week. On the 21st (Sunday), temps. climbed to 76F, 75F, and 78F, respectively, at DCA, BWI, and IAD. (The IAD temp. was a daily record.)

The flowering trees have begun blossoming.

#######

Meiwah restaurant at the corner of M Street (where it does a slight dogleg jog in its position between downtown and Georgetown) and New Hampshire Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C., 8:10PM, March 22, 2010.

#######

On the Discovery Channel is a reairing of the program Wild Pacific -- which was actually a British series called South Pacific that was rechristened and with a new American narrator, Mike Rowe, who is best known as the host of the program Dirty Jobs.

The images here are screen captures from the YouTube clip below. I've also written about this and posted some of the same images in my July 13, 2009 entry.


The British version was narrated by a more appealing sounding English actor with the complicated name of Benedict (Timothy Carlton) Cumberbatch. My all time favorite scene is in the series "Endless Blue" -- called "Eat or Be Eaten" in the U.S. version.

It features hyper-acrobatic Dusky Dolphins in super pods numbering in the hundreds to thousand strong frolicking, leaping and cork-screwing jumping in the cold, stormy, teeming Pacific surf off Kaikoura in New Zealand's South Island on a bright sunny day with the snow-capped Southern Alps towering in the distance.

It is set to what is one of the most beautiful pieces of music -- at once haunting and lilting and then sped up and joyful -- I have ever heard. The music is actually the theme for the whole series played at different times.

I asked my friend A. who works at Discovery Channel if he could find out what is that tune / theme.

He told me the series music was arranged by British composer / conductor / instrumentalist David Mitcham and on his Web site he says the music includes the "unique voices of Ola Onabule, Norma Winstone and Rachel Nicholls; the ukulele and ronroco playing of John Parricelli; an ensemble of eight of London´s foremost cello players; and the male voices of the Joyful Company of Singers."

Being an American, none of that explanation helps me very much, but that's the answer. I didn't even know that a ronroco was a type of wooden guitar.

The samples on his site don't quite sound like the music in the scene I am describing.

Below is that scene. Move the little button to where it begins at 7:45. The scene runs the remaining 2 minutes and 16 seconds until the end. I apologize that the volume is so low and if there are any issues with the size of the embedded clip.



Oh, by the way, Discovery Channel is airing a new multi-part series in the spirit of Planet Earth and South Pacific called Life. This too is a BBC series that was written and narrated by Sir David Attenborough but the U.S. version is narrated by none other than Oprah Winfrey.

#######

That's all for now. My next planned update will be later this week. I really hope I get paid on time.

--Regulus

3 comments:

krzysztof said...

Wow that Watergate Safeway has become your new thing. But it's quite small and not nearly as cruisy as the 17th St one. Not that it ever mattered to me.

So I'm trying to decide if I should go to bed super early and inevitably wake up at like 3AM or go for a beer. I guess one pint won't kill me.

Regulus said...

One pint won't but 10 ...

Good talking to you by email. I know the international texting is $$$. The international sexting might be even more!

I'm so busy and tired, Kristof. Sigh.

krzysztof said...

Busy is nice. Idle hands are the devil's workshop. I can't believe I just said that.

So as you know and unfortunately not only you I had considerably more than 1 pint last night. They got me drunk of my arse as it were. I came back home late and started sending drunken emails to people. I don't even want to think about it. When will I ever learn?:-)