Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Busy, Tiring First Week of Spring 2010 ...


Early spring day, 1700 block New Hampshire Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C., 12:34PM, March 25, 2010

#######

Well, hippo, this has to be a very short entry. I am exhausted and need to sleep.

I have been exceptionally busy the past few days and it shows no sign of letting up. The Bethesda contracting company is giving me too much work -- I've produced multiple lengthy reports in the past week and my supervisor wants another difficult project by Friday morning (this one involving an analysis and overview of U.S. media coverage of the Toyota braking problem, and thus way outside my usual climate/energy topic).

I actually emailed her to say that I don't think I can do it by Friday, esp. as I have my Census training this week. I'm always worried about upsetting her and losing all my "consulting" work.

The building at 2400 M Street -- at the corner of M and 24th Streets, NW -- Washington, D.C., 12:53PM, March 24,2010

#######

Oh, yes, I got paid on Tuesday and deposited the check.

As for the Census training over at the West End library in an upstairs room, it was a chaotic and highly bureaucratic affair -- the 7 hours could have been compressed into basically 1 hour -- in a cramped upstairs room at the West End library. But I still am supposed to get paid for it. I will refrain from discussing what was talked about at the session at least for now.

As for the full-time contracting job at a Federal agency, well, basically the hiring manager is trying to find me a position. She emailed me tonight to say she had just emailed five different people at DOE in order to determine if there is enough work for me to do that she would be "comfortable" hiring me. She said she would let me know in a week to 10 days.

I am sooooooooooo close and I soooooooooooo want to get this position. I may even know something by the end of this week.

This job would cause me to change my life in a number of very positive ways.

#######

GG Quote:

Uncle Angelo (who was flat broke and homeless, upon hearing that his niece Dorothy will let him stay in an apt. building she inherited with her ex-husband Stan) (in his Italian accent):

"Here, I will begin again. Here, I will start a new life. Ah, Dorothy, my new life, how close am I going to start it to the beach??"

IF the job I seek comes through quickly, it would cut short the temporary Census one.

I am also exhausted, having had a sleep schedule that is about 10 to 12 hours off the rest of the world the past week, only 3 hours of sleep last night and then getting up at 830AM. Now it is true that I have enjoyed in some ways my all-night report writing while watching my "comfort TV" of old sitcoms: The Golden Girls, Cheers, Three's Company.

I'm becoming so fat and I look so frumpy. I have purchased very few clothes in the past year. My hoodie is severely threadbare -- as are all my shirt sleeve ends. It's my depression-wear.

Dupont Circle looking toward the Sun Trust Building in a chilly rain shower, Washington, D.C., 7:10PM, March 23, 2010

#######

My mom is supposed to come into D.C. on Sunday and we are going to try to see the Terra Cotta Warriors exhibit on its final day at the National Geographic museum near here. I'm also going to help Chris T. clean up one of his rooms and maybe I'll see LP, too. Oh, and I may meet up with Joe and Ana on Friday evening but that's not set yet. Gary is away in South Florida until Tuesday.

--Regulus

2 comments:

krzysztof said...

I'm worried about your insane sleep schedule. As you know I'm a great believer in healthy lifestyle and this doesn't sound healthy

Regulus said...

Well, it is a pretty screwed up schedule. Perhaps with this Census job -- and certainly if I get the other one -- my sleep schedule will get back to a more normal one.

I've enjoyed our email conversation this week.