Friday, January 15, 2010

Caught Between Life's Disaster and the Deep Blue Sea ...

Random lovely picture of the ocean surf along a beach.

#######

I had intended to post a longer entry but I have quite busy -- and distracted -- this week and so will do so over the weekend, probably on Saturday.

A picture of sunrise over the South China Sea as seen from a beach in Vietnam that I got off the internet.

I finished my regular biweekly assignment at work but I have to do another one tonight, albeit a short one. I should not be going to bed at 9AM and getting up at 3PM in a panic tonight / tomorrow -- welcome to my life. However, I do enjoy the wee hours working while watching Hallmark and TV Land sitcom reruns.

I am supposed to get juuuuuust enuf money this Friday to be able to pay my Jan. rent (on Jan. 15th) -- but leaving me nearly flat broke until Jan. 28th at the earliest. Next month should be a bit easier but longer term it's still a slow motion personal disaster for me.

Of note, this week featured a few hopeful glints on the job front but by Thursday -- and dead phone and email silence -- it all turned to pure shit, as usual.

#######

These past few days I have been watching a lot of news about the Haiti earthquake catastrophe. I think Rachel Maddow is especially good to watch. Unlike during the South Asian tsunami catastrophe in late Dec. 2004, I cannot donate any money. Well, OK, it was only like $25 back then. Today I can't even do that.

A young lady looks over the wreckage of a market in the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake.

As for the U.S. response, it is beginning in earnest and that is good. The U.S. has the ability to undertake the huge scale and scope and rapid timetable that the response required needs -- though this is not to denigrate the on-the-ground efforts of other countries from France to Canada to China, nor the United Nations itself.

A Spanish rescuer holds 2-year-old Redjeson Hausteen Claude, as his father Reginald Claude, left, looks on in Port-au-Prince, Thursday, Jan. 14, 2010. The boy's mother, Daphnee Plaisin, was nearby, too, unharmed.

Here they are reunited, mother and child.

As for Pres. Obama himself, he gave another good speech, again, this one about the Haitians not being forsaken. In the meantime, the banking criminals and other monsters of our economic and financial "system" will get their trillion dollar bailout plunder, loot, and whatnot, and there you have it. Butt Rush the Pigboy and Pat "Pact with the Devil" Robertson will enjoy that.

I keep meaning to switch my paltry bank account to a smaller one like Arianna Huffington's campaign is urging.

#######

That's all for now. I plan to update this blog over the weekend.

--Regulus

2 comments:

Rita said...

I remember the days when I regularly woke up in a panic at 3:00 am. It is a most horrible state of being. I was reduced to taking prescription drugs to keep it at bay. Unfortunately, that doesn't work forever...
Now, I work like a dog & try never look to back.

Here is a familiar local beach scene from Bandon, OR.

Regulus said...

Hi Rita,

Don't work too hard!

By the way, I caught "Saturday Night Live" last night and Sigourney Weaver was hosting it. Is it me or do you look a little like her?