Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"Take, Take Me Home, 'Cuz I Don't Remember ... "


Sigh. The Na Pali (or Napali) coast on the island of Kauai.

This is the place to go with one's true beloved, rather than a $1.98 romance at Coney Island / Staten Island, but whatever. Just sayin' ...

STATEN ISLAND. The unlikely borough of New York City, and located in Richmond County. ("Richmond" -- the Virginia capital of the old Confederacy)

Did I ever mention that my Polish grandmother -- my mom's mom -- lived on Henry Street in South Amboy, N.J., in a house where my mom grew up and my (gay) uncle STILL lives, and from whose porch, you could see a faraway towering church steeple in "Tottenville" on Staten Island while at night, from her second (main) floor, you could see the lights of Brooklyn even while looking out in the direction of Sandy Hook Bay toward that part of New Jersey whence I am from.

She lived just beyond the farthest most lower left hand corner of the above map on the Jersey side.
It's hard for me to talk about this and I can't begin to explain it. I get emotional.

God is angry at me because -- earlier today and the past few weeks -- of my horrendous blasphemy when I get mad, but I'm not going to go there now.

##############

Phil Collins' "Take Me Home" ... It's for my beautiful sweetheart of a boy, Mr. Sirius ...



Please watch if you can. I LOVE the last line ("You've been down at the pub!"). Brilliant. The video is about 6 minutes long, but well worth it.

##################

OK, I'm tryin' to get a few of my boys (LIKE SINATRA!) to go to a CERTAIN FRIDAY NIGHT EVENT whose link is here (please scroll down a bit to the calendar and look at Aug. 1, 2008).

Yay!


#############

In the meantime, I've been obsessed with The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, published in 1985 and made into a move -- that features that crazy bitch Faye Dunaway! -- in 1990. It's all about life in the post - apocalyptic Republic of Gilead. Boo.

I find this whole dystopian story endlessly fascinating, although The New York Times book review Feb. 1986 from the time did not.

Boo.

If you want the whole story, it's pretty much here.

Sigh.

I'm confused.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna end this entry early now, Sweet Pea, and I'm going to bed.

#################

Wait, let me post a few political images ...

Ha ha...

Stevens' indictment is the first serious one (other than a rather bogus one against Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison in 1993) since "Abscam" in 1980. Related to Abscam -- a sort of parody of a scandal in its way -- one of these days, I'll explain the "I know Abscam Joe" t-shirts circa summer 1981 or '82 worn by, among others, my grandpa and my dad at the now-vanished Trade Winds Beach Club in Sea Bright, N.J.

My grandparents were friends with "Abscam" Joe and his wife, Dee.


If you want to know about Abscam (or ABSCAM) read
here, including here about Joe "Abscam" Silvestri and the house at 4407 W Street, N.,W., in the Palisades part of D.C.

#############

At least the war criminal enablers on the WaHoPo Editorial Board and that war criminal himself Mr. Kissinger are happy about their Iraq-Nam catastrophe. Fred Hiatt and his gang (including former members such as Sebastian Mallaby), not to mention the Graham family, are complicit in war crimes and if there is any justice -- do I even have to finish that sentence?? -- will someday be put on trial at The Hague.

#############

Ha ha.

#############

--Regulus

10 comments:

travistee said...

I've been with a loved one on the Napali Coast...it was so AWESOME....

Regulus said...

I've been to Hawaii, but just the island of Oahu, not Kauai. I'd love to see Kauai and the Na Pali coast, with or without my would be Mr. Sirius special someone, regardless. Maybe someday.

By the way, I enjoyed our email exchange today! Good talking to you.

krzysztof said...

This looks like a place where I would like to die at the age of 100. And my boyfriend will be so upset by my death that he'll have to drop out of college....

fifi said...

going anywhere with a loved one is good: love will always transform the most banal of places.

handmaiden said...

I'll give you a critic of "The Handmaid's Tale" when I finish it. I'm not going to look at the other critic's of the book until I'm done. If I read reviews before I read a book, they nag me like a Jewish Aunt. (I'm also reading a collection of short stories by Philip Roth, can you tell? :)

I've never been to Hawaii, but I hear from my children that my x-husband is going with his new girlfriend. Ha ha! Fuck head.
I also hear that she's paying. Ha ha! sucker.

I'll going to try to call you tonight.

Regulus said...

Kristof -- You mean high school. Dirty old man.

Fifi -- Agreed. The world really only exists in the mind anyway.

Handmaiden -- Ha ha, very funny re. your ex-husband. But he got hise'f a girlfriend who is paying for a trip to Hawaii. Not too shabby. Probably not too classy, though, either!

Re. calling, Saturday or Sunday during the day might be better.

Bryan said...

Thank you for that video link. I haven't seen that in ages.

I apparently do have strange tastes in men. I think Phil is attractive, always did.

I think this guy is yummy as well. I do!!!

He's got to do something with that hair though!!! ((hug))

Bryan said...

^^^ double post. Stupid internet.

Bryan said...

Hello from what is apparently Edison this time... where my sister's wireless router may have been giving the neighborhood free internet for years. Hmmmm.

We fixed it. At least she was properly firewalled. I couldn't get into their 'puters.

I'm hard wired in right now. Secure. I wonder who ****** is. Has to be one of her neighbors. He needs to fix that.

Regulus said...

God, you're relentless.