Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Summer Evening Downpour

Hi Everybody ...

The Starbucks in Bethesda, Md., at the corner of Norfolk Ave. and Woodmont Ave., July 24, 2008

#########

Just a (truly) quick update. Here are a few images of the drenching deluge that swept over D.C. and environs last night, although there was a lot less rainfall west of here.

Last night's D.C. deluge as seen from Cobalt looking out onto 17th St., NW, July 23, 2008

Official airport totals for the event were 1.09" at DCA (National) and a whopping 2.46" at BWI, but IAD (Dulles) 20+ miles west of D.C. got only 0.35". We're well ahead for the year, esp. at DCA.

Here were the storm clouds gathering last night as seen at the corner of 17th and S St., NW, Washington, D.C, at summer dusk, July 23, 2008.

Again, I apologize for not commenting on my Blogger Buddy blogs. There is more I want to post. Just a couple quick points...

More storm clouds gathering as seen from 17th St., NW, outside Cobalt, Washington, D.C., July 23, 2008

I've decided for the time being to move all my blogging activities to this my Regulus blog and let my Arcturus blog remain dormant, although I'm keeping all the content on it. I put too much effort into it and and there is too much stuff on it for me to get rid of it.

A fountain outside the Chevy Chase Building, Bethesda, Md., July 24, 2008

My boss is away for the next 3 weeks starting Monday. I have to decide how I am going to approach the going back to school plan I have. I've decided to try to keep the full time job and take two classes, but the best I can do so far in terms of scheduling classes so far is to need to leave an hour early on Wednesdays. At the place I work, this could actually be "an issue" -- I was turned down in my request to work from home just one day over the next three weeks.

If the answer is no, my second plan is to go back to 4 days a week hourly. If the answer to that is no, then I may have to quit the job and get another one. Sigh. Well, at the very least I can sleep in more. I don't have to make any decisions until Aug. 20th or so.

More deluge images as seen from Cobalt at the corner of 17th and R St., NW (this is R St. looking onto 17th St.), Washington, D.C., July 23, 2008

Kristof and I had a nice Thai dinner at Bua's on P St. on Tuesday night (and it's half price bottle of wine night there). True, Bua's is at the edge of the Mr. Sirius Forbidden / Exclusion Zone (bounded by 17th, 16th, P and Q Streets, NW, and, gee, I'm sorta really tired of the whole D.C. gayborhood) but I'll make an exception for Bua's. Tonight, I had a nice dinner at Bangkok Garden in Bethesda -- yet another Thai restaurant -- with Quill and LP.

Here is the inside of Bangkok Garden restaurant in Bethesda, Md., July 24, 2008, but from a different perspective than I have posted before, away from all the statuary and makeshift shrines 'n' stuff that makes the small place so cozy.

I didn't take any pictures of LP or Quill.

I had a bit of a shock, though, when Quill showed me pictures she has of me on her iPod -- that she got off my blog(s) and stretching back to well before my blogging era -- and I saw how startlingly and appallingly I've aged in the past 6 to 12 months.

It's not pretty. Something may be wrong with me. I may be dying. Or I'm just getting old and really out of shape and hideous looking.

########

The view from the window at Bangkok Garden looking onto St. Elmo Ave., across the street to Rock Bottom (love that name) restaurant and pub.

Altocumulus clouds in the sky at the corner of 16th and Corcoran Streets, NW, Washington, D.C., July 22, 2008, behind the Church of the Holy City. This just happens -- and here is some more D.C. street grid system trivia -- to be the 1600 block of 16th St. and 1600 block of Corcoran St., located between Q and R Streets, NW.

One of the flame-shaped English elm trees that grow along 16th St., this one at the intersection of P St., NW, Washington, D.C., July 23, 2008, as I walked to Bua's.

Well, that's pretty much all I had to say. My planned next update will be over the weekend. I'm already way late going to bed, and I so need my sleep. Zzzzzz...

--Regulus

1 comment:

Slappy said...

Nice rain pictures! That was a hell of a night.