Monday, June 23, 2008

Summer Solstice 2008: A Three-Day Photo - Montage


Stormy sky, ascending out of the Dupont Circle Metro, June 23, 2008

############

There are SO many pictures I need to post. I am just going to post them in a sort of chaotic fashion.

Two items:

First, I took half a day off from work today because I wasn't feeling well this morning. I don't know if that is going to cause any problems tomorrow (my boss was out today). I am still planning on returning to school -- rather than totally and fully committing to this job -- come late August. But I don't have to decide anything until then, i.e. for the next two months.

Stormy sky, outside Cobalt, R and 17th St., NW, Wash. D.C., June 22, 2008.

Secondly, the weather has featured t-storms in the area the past several days, but the airports have mostly missed big drenching downpours. Dulles has had the most (0.39") the past three days while DCA has gotten 0.20" and 0.01" at BWI (boo).

However, this gets into weather, which is more appropriate for my Arcturus blog, which I need to update. It has been a wet past few months, and that's a GOOD THING.

Anyway, without further ado, here are some pictures I've been meaning to post ...

The Cheshire Cat Grin light projection on the wall of the tunnel at the Bethesda Metro, June 20, 2008.

############

The Pet Pride contest at Dupont Circle this past Saturday, June 21, 2008. I thought I might see Mr. Sirius with his boyfriend and dog in their gay bliss, but I did not. Not that I was thinking about that.

##############

This was from the "least obedient" contest. There were only TWO entries. This fellow came in second. He should've came in first.

###############

Screen shot from the 1954 remake of A Star Is Born with the late, forever great Judy Garland ...

OH, GOD, there is SO MUCH I could say about this film ... this remake with Judy Garland ... One random thought: if she had won the Oscar for Best Actress in this film -- she lost to Grace Kelly* -- she might not have spiraled in to the death spiral that ended in her death in June 1969, AND! the Stonewall Riots might not have occurred on that sultry night 5 days later (although it has been said this is an urban myth, but whatever).

Here is the scene where James Mason's character Normal Maine, the sad alcoholic, walks off into the ocean to drown himself rather than have Judy Garland's character (Vicki Lester) give up her life for him.

This film, though, in a bizarre way was really an allegory of her life -- and how it would play out in the next 15 years until she died.

*Grace Kelly's death on Sept. 14, 1982, by the way, was featured in the FIRST EDITION of USA Today on Sept. 15, 1982. See front page image here.

##############

The Pan American Health Organization Building -- which looks like a carburetor air filter.

################

Yours Truly at the Lincoln Memorial, around 330AM, June 22, 2008.

#################

Still another picture of me (Regulus) at the Lincoln Memorial, June 22, 2008.

###########

Kristof silhouetted among the stately columns of the Lincoln Memorial, in the wee hours of June 22, 2008.

############

Yours Truly, Regulus, and LP at the Lincoln Memorial, around 345AM, June 22, 2008.

###########

Regulus and Kristof at the Albert Einstein Memorial at 21st St., NW, and Constitution Ave., NW. Link to Web site here.

#############

Yours Truly, Regulus, at the Albert Einstein Memorial, Wash., D.C., June 22, 2008.

##############

Kristof at the Albert Einstein Memorial, Washington, D.C., June 22, 2008

##############

Yours Truly, Regulus, and the Geo. Washington Univ. "unofficial" mascot hippo at 21st and H St., NW. This hippo has NOTHIN' on my Flippo.

#########################
#########################

The following pictures were taken on Sunday, June 22, 2008 on a ride with Gerry.

The big water tower at Andrews AFB, as seen from the Capital Beltway, June 22, 2008.

##################

The still-under-construction National Harbor, June 22, 2008. Of note, "The Awakening" has been reassembled along the Potomac River at the National Harbor.

################

The new Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge, June 22, 2008.

###############

A trellis covered in wisteria in Crystal City - Arlington, Va., near where Gerry works, June 22, 2008.

###############

Freddie's very gay restaurant and bar in Arlington, Va., June 22, 2008. Gary, Gerry, and I went there yesterday evening.

#################

Freddie's bar

#################

The Washington Monument at sunset, June 22, 2008.

#################

Again -- the Washington Monument, early evening, June 22, 2008

#################

A hydrangea bush in a yard along 1800 block, T St. NW, Washington, D.C., June 23, 2008

##################

A rainbow ...

... as seen from Larry's Lounge, 18th and T St., NW, Washington, D.C., June 23, 2008, after a brief, heavy rain shower.

That's all for now. Good night, Gentle Reader,

--Regulus

11 comments:

krzysztof said...

Nice, nice pictures

travistee said...

Good Lord, you photo whore! :)
I'm still wondering about people that walk into an ocean to drown themselves. Could never figure that one out.

Regulus said...

Kristof: Thank, , thank you ... So why do I feel the need to say, "I call bullshit" 'cuz I think you're being sarcastic, baby doll.

TravisTee!: Well, sweetie, I always did want to be a photo-whore-journalist.

No, I never could get the drowning thing either. I would think it necessary to be in a messed (i.e. drugged) up state to do that.

Quill said...

I love you with the hippo! :D BTW, there was a STUNNER of a double rainbow here last evening. I did take photos but I haven't downloaded them yet. Yours was a double too!

Regulus said...

[I confused myself and signed in with my Arcturus account instead of my Regulus account.]

Quill!

How are you sweetie?

As for that rainbow, I'm pretty sure that was pretty much the same rainbow you saw in suburban Maryland about 7 miles from me. It was spectacularly visible across the whole D.C. area as a large thunderstorm cell moved east. I'm not sure where one rainbow "starts" and one "stops" but it was essentially the same rainbow based on the position of the rain shaft and optics with the angled sunlight.

It does make finding the pot o' gold a bit trickier ... all the more so because if you go up into the air, the rainbow arc becomes a circle!

fifi said...

oh, speaking of slow. I have been commenting down at the next comment box instead of up here where the rainbow is.
I tried to comment yesterday then had to run off half way through.

When I am finished with life, I will be drowning. I would rather that than many other things, but I am not planning on drowning in the near future.

Could you change your comments so they open in a separate box, that way I cam look at the pictures when I write. Thanks.

TAG

Regulus said...

OK, I think I successfully did that -- I just changed the settings to have the comments open in a pop-up window, except I know that sometimes pop-up windows are a no-no on some systems. But I have changed it for now.

fifi said...

thanksyou. good work old chum.

krzysztof said...

I was being serious.
Man, what a day, I got up at 6, attended all kinds of meetings, missed a teleconference (not entirely my fault though) and gave a talk about my work. I'm exhausted.

Anonymous said...

we also saw double rainbows that monday night in our area - could it have been the same?

--
mikeG

Regulus said...

Hi Mike ...

It's a tricky proposition because if you have a large thunderstorm cell moving away from your vantage point and the Sun is low in the west, then the rainbow one sees will sort of travel with the viewer on a path perpendicular to the storm (i.e. north-south). This is why I think the rainbow Quill saw was the "same" one I saw. As for you in Ellicott City area, I'm guessing that was just a different cell. In Quill's case, it's 7 miles ... in your case, it is 25+ miles ... so I'd say, no, it wasn't the same one.