Monday, June 16, 2008

Carroll County, Md., Saturday Photo-Journey (and some more Pyewackett pictures)


An old barn with its white paint fading away, 2200 block of Trevanion Road, Carroll County, Md., June 14, 2008 (I suppose saying the numbered block, as if it were in the city, sounds sort of contrived and strange)

##############

On Saturday, rather than see the homo Capital Pride parade -- which I heard was quite underwhelming this year -- I went up to Rockville to meet my friend LP and we took a drive all the way up to Carroll County, Md., to Westminster and the bucolic town of Taneytown. There were showers and thunderstorms in the area.

On Sunday, I went to the Capital Pride street festival with Gary, Gerry, and Kristof, and it too was an underwhelming experience.

###########

This entry will focus only on my Saturday.

Larry and I drove up on a circuitous route from his Grosvenor Park place to Carroll County on a wending, green-cloaked route through Montgomery and Howard Counties into Carroll County.

This is a barn house somewhere in upper Montgomery County, Md., June 14, 2008. I'm not exactly sure the route we followed. I'm usually better as the passenger seat navigator.

Carroll County is a rolling, bucolic, pleasant place quite removed from both the D.C. and Baltimore areas (though it is more attuned to the latter).

#########

Another barn along Uniontown Rd., Carroll County, Md., June 14, 2008. This picture was actually taken shortly after the one directly below. It was on the road between Westminster and Taneytown.

###########

The center of Westminster, Md., on an overcast, humid early evening, June 14, 2008. This is the intersection of East and West Main Streets (Rt 32, running NW-SE) and Liberty St. (SW side) and Railroad Ave. (Rt. 27, NE side).

##############

LP and I had lunch at Harry's in Westminster, Md.

############

Thereafter, we drove to the small town of Taneytown -- pronounced "Tawney-town" by the locals. There is a ton of Civil War history here and families with roots extending back to before the Civil War, if not into the Colonial era.

On the road into Taneytown, Md. Yes, it was sort of a gray, gloomy day.

##############

I believe this is the corner of Frederick St. and York St. and E. Baltimore St. YES, I'm aware how frickin' blurry most of my pictures are ... it's a cellphone camera ... and while my new cellphone has ten times or more the memory of my old one and overall it is superior, it's camera is not.

###############

Here is the interior of the Ice Cream Shack in Taneytown, Md., June 14, 2008. The lady had prepared a sandwich for the old farmer fellow seated at the table.

##############

Speaking of Taneytown, while there, I kept thinking of this incident from the early 1980s ... in my early days in Maryland living in Glen Burnie with my mother and Ray ... when there was this kidnapping incident in Taneytown that made HUGE news in Baltimore.

I actually did a Nexis search on it tonight and discovered that the lady kidnapped -- but ultimately safely released after an 8-day, multiple state ordeal -- was Patricia (Pat) Hivey. She worked at the Taneytown Pharmacy and it occurred in May 1983 (when I was 13 years old). Apparently, she still lives in Taneytown, or so said the old fellow who owns and runs the Ice Cream Shack when I asked him about it -- to his seeming perplexity.

##############

Sockage ...

Yes, we're back on that photo-topic again.

##########

Following are some more pictures of Pyewackett that I took when I was down in Florida visiting my dad this past January. I just discovered them as I went through my Hotmail account looking at the 70 or so pictures from that trip I want to post but I've already forgotten half the contexts / associated captions.

Pyewackett died last Thursday when, at age 17 and in failing health, my dad had him put to sleep. This ends, at least for now, his Era of Many Cats, as My Guy Pye, as I called him, was both one of the first two he had -- beginning in March 1991 -- and the last surviving one.

My dad and Pyewackett, Jan. 14, 2008 during my trip to Florida last winter.

I don't know if Pyewackett's passing away will expedite his planned eventual move from Flagler Beach, Fla., to Key West, but I hope it does. Admittedly, my reasons are a bit selfish: I want to be able to visit him in Key West.

###########

Another picture I took of Pyewackett last January on my Florida visit ...

My Guy Pye ... Rest in peace, baby doll. We'll meet again someday.

#############

I'll have some Sunday Capital pride pictures to post in my next entry.

I can't finish this entry right now -- I'm just too tired and I need to sleep. I've been watching a show National Geographic about those daredevils who have gone over Niagara Falls in a barrel, or in one ultimately suicidal case, a kayak. Previously, it was a show about UFOs and UFO abductions and Roswell narrated by the late Peter Jennings.

--Regulus

17 comments:

fifi said...

My condolences again or Pyewackett.
It's really awful when animals get sick and can't understand why they feel so dreadful.Often they run away in order to escape from the pain,they think its some kind of predator.

Just think, My guy P is probably enjoying a second kittenhood. 17 years is pretty amazing for a cat!

The trip to Taneytown seems surreal, amazing. Little towns which seem so unchanged, with the old architecture and folks that have been there forever. I don't think the pictures look that bad! they are still great!

I had to get a new phone too,yesterday: the screen on mine went blank.
Sadly half my numbers were saved onto the phone memory so I lost them. Damn.
I never take pictures with it, my kids do though. Awful ones. To surprise me.

Regulus said...

Thank you, Fifi, for that nice comment.

I've been thinking about what you said: how animals that are old and in pain flee their homes as if escaping from a predator. That's a pretty amazing thought. I never thought of it that way.

Yes, Taneytown is one of those rural - hamlet towns that still exist in large numbers in the eastern United States' low mountainous folds and adjacent piedmont. This would include the really impoverished southern and central Appalachians and the Alleghenies and stretching into New England. The Northern side tends to be wealthier ... true, Maryland is juuuust south of the Mason-Dixon line, but that's beside the point here.

Are your kids taking pictures of you or other things when you say they're doing so to surprise you?

Also, I sent you an email earlier today. I have been reading your "Contemporary Sublime" piece and really like it. Thank you so much for sending it to me. I've been enjoying it ... and feeling in awe how you weave so many pieces of art across time together so poetically and on such an unlikely topic, or at least one I never would have considered from that perspective -- sea ice!

fifi said...

alleghenes...a new word, a new place...

it seems sad that such a place be impoverished, since it is mountainous and romantic sounding.

we are crossing each other in space today. I really must get painting, but there is sun on my back and I am loathe to get up....


hows bernice?
the kids take shots of each other pulling faces usually.

fifi said...

I think I want to visit America. I want to go to Ann Arbor.

bolshoipavel said...

Thanks for the pictures of Pyewackett. They brought a tear to my eye. Kitties (and doggies) can be such wonderful, loyal friends, and it's horrible when they leave us.

I also enjoyed the Carroll County pictures. I always thought Taneytwon was named after the infamous Supreme Court Justice Taney (also pronounced "Tawny," as J/X informed me) of the Dred Scott decision, but when I looked it up I found out the town existed long before he did. It was even mentioned by George Washington in a letter or diary entry. I only know it as the home of an extremely attractive guy named Chuck who works at the Hippo in Baltimore. But that's another story...

Regulus said...

Hey Fifi,

Interesting about "Alleghenies": the mountains in Pennsylvania are called the Alleghenies, but the county on the Maryland side is spelled "Allegany." Actually, my point was that the parts of the southern and central Appalachians, including the Blue Ridge, the Great Smoky Mountains, the Shenandoah valley - all such wonderful names -- are where there is serious poverty of that interior Southern sort.

There is less poverty in the Appalachians from Pennsylvania heading into New York state and New England, although there are pockets of rural poverty there, too.

Maryland's mountains are not that impressive -- visually, the Catoctin range (where Camp David is located, about 50 miles NW of D.C.) are the most impressive.

In New York, there are the Catskills and then into New England, the Green and White Mountains, which are among the prettiest (I think).

Bernice is fine, I think, although remember I don't see her every day ... only every few weeks ... she lives with my friend Quill's parents in Silver Spring.

Re. a U.S. visit, I've never been to Michigan. I hear that Ann Arbor is actually quite nice, as opposed to, say, Detroit, Michigan.

############

Regulus said...

BolshoiPavel: A bartender who works at the Hippo lives in Taneytown?? Wow, that's quite a drive ... esp. at, say, 4AM coming home on a winter night when its 33F and raining in Baltimore and snowing and 30F in Taneytown (and partly cloudy in D.C. -- boo).

Yes, J/X -- or "Johnny Reb," as I think he prefers to be called -- mentioned that fact to me about Taneytown. It is NOT named for Chief Justice Taney.

bolshoipavel said...

Actually, Regulus, I should have said that the delectable Chuck was from Taneytown originally. Last I heard (and that was maybe five years ago) he had bought a "fixer-upper" row house in a slummy area of Balmer. But I do know he still works at the Hippo.

Regulus said...

I don't think my hippo, Flippo, has ever been at The Hippo. Come to think of it, I don't think he and the other plush babies on my bed do much bar hopping. They are there when I come home, though. Yay!

handmaiden said...

I was studying your photos of the city streets with the overcast sky. Thinking about my recent trips to cities in Oregon like Portland & Salem, it could be basically the same view, except for the horizon. The mountains are missing! Then I remembered my Dad saying once when I asked him about the east coast that they didn't have mountains like we did they had hills.
Is this a correct assessment?

fifi said...

Australian mountains are really just hills...
My smartmouth daughter informed me that since australia is not on a juncture between tectonic plates our mountains were not driven by those forces and were thus old and eroding, as opposed to say, new zealand.


Since she has been such a useful geographical resource this week perhaps I'll reconsider packing her off to timbuktoo in a sealed crate.

anyhoo.

Regulus said...

Handmaiden: Well, that depends on your perspective. If you mean mountains such as the Cascades ... Mount Hood ... Mount Rainier ... Mount Adams ... you are correct. However, the Appalachians -- by which I mean the whole shebang of U.S./Canada East Coast mountains from north Georgia to Nova Scotia, and, well, for that matter, right up to Newfoundland -- are mountains in their own right. The different ranges were formed at different times in the period approx. 300 - 400 million years ago. To a first order approximation, they formed when the continents would become Pangaea collided. The mountains of northern Scotland and the Atlas mountains of North Africa are the same range but were broken apart as continental drift broke the continents apart.

The Appalachians were once as high as the Himalayas, it is believed.

Now it's not clear if the Atlantic Ocean will seal back up or continue to widen -- that depends on whether the South Sandwich and Puerto Rico Trenches devour the mid-Atlantic Ridge in the far future or not -- and form EITHER Pangaea Ultimata OR Amasia in approx. 250 million years. If it is the former, and the Atlantic rapidly closes up beginning in about 150 million years hence, then a NEW RANGE of mountains will be lofted up where the Appalachians / East Coast are today ... and as was once written, "the fossilized remnants of the ruins of Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City, and Boston will lie high atop a vast mountain range." Yay.

Regulus said...

Fifi -- I did my own quick and cursory research ... GOD, that's all I do ALL day on such a bewildering range of topics, always on DROP DEAD deadline and I can't function well that way ... and it appears young Miss Fifi is correct about Australia being a continent unusually geologically quiet. I found some stuff about the Adelaide Geosyncline and the MUCH later severing of Australia from Antarctica. Apparently, the mountains of Australia are extremely ancient ... at least half a billion years old.

Regulus said...

P.S. I was referring in that unrelated rant to my job.

krzysztof said...

the mountains of Australia are extremely ancient

What are you talking about? They were quite new when I was a kid

handmaiden said...

Thank you, that was interesting.

Regulus said...

Kristof -- Ha ha.

"Once the paint was removed, you could plainly see the ravages of time ..."

"The poof ... older than it looks. Worth saving if you're willing to have it stuffed."

On another topic, I need to call you and give you the URL to a blog I found which I'm, like, 25 percent sure is an intentional parody of me. That's all I'm going to say here. I'll tell you later about it and what I think. Or I'm just being delusional self-important, which is always a possibility.

Handmaiden: You're welcome. I find continental drift / plate tectonic theory endlessly fascinating. Consider that what is the Big Island of Hawaii today in about 85 million years will -- or rather the vestige remnants of it, which at that point may not even break the ocean's surface anymore -- will be devoured in the subduction zone off the Kamchatka Peninsula 3,000+ miles to the WNW.