Sunday, May 11, 2008

Rainy Frog Hollow OR Mother's Day Heart & Soul*


Updated: The rainy night intersection of 17th and R Streets, NW, looking southward, Washington, D.C, May 11, 2008 ...

This is looking south toward Mr. Sirius territory. It reminds me of a dream I had when I was a little boy (circa 1977), living in Long Branch, N.J.

In that dream, I was looking down a city avenue scene such as this at night, possibly a rainy one, with the street lights stretching away into the distance, and I knew that my dad and grandparents were "way down there," except I knew I could never reach them.

I sometimes have this weird deja-vu sense of this dream, this feeling, esp. when I go into Windows.


##############

This entry has been updated. Please see the bottom of this entry for some pictures taken on this rainy - stormy Washington, D.C. night. I love rainy - stormy nights such as this. I wish they weren't so rare.

#############

Cont 'd from early ...

*Frog Hollow is the name of a swim and tennis club in South Amboy, N.J., on Louisa St., not far from Henry St. where my mother grew up, though I don't think she or my grandmother ever actually went there, and not to be confused with the now-gone Trade Winds Beach Club on the shore in Sea Bright, N.J., where I used to go for many years in the 1970s and 1980s.

Here is Yours Truly, Regulus, outside the National Geographic building on 17th St., NW, not too far from where I live here in Washington, D.C., yesterday (Saturday). There was a frog exhibit at the Nat'l Geo. building that ends today (Sunday) after a few month stint. I went there with Gary, Kristof, and Larry.

##############

Just a quick update on this very rainy Sunday early evening here in Wash. D.C. I don't have time to post an update, but I posted one on my Arcturus blog. It's about my trip to see the above - mentioned frog exhibit at the National Geographic building and which I mentioned in my previous Regulus entry, and some Mr. Sirius -related stuff (for that reason, you may wish to skip it).

This includes a YouTube clip of a piano version of a song that's been stuck in my head, "Heart & Soul" -- the Frank Loesser/Hoagy Carmichael one, not the Huey Lewis and the News song of same name.

I've decided I should move most of my postings about Mr. Sirius over there on my Arcturus blog.

############

Here is a picture of me taken last night at Chris and David's party.

Unfortunately, I didn't get enough sleep the night before (4 hours) and then drank and ate too much and fell asleep on their bed before being woken as Gary, Kristof, and LP were leaving. I hope that's not a problem. No, I wasn't ill or anything, I just fell asleep.

Chris. You mad?

#############

It is a very stormy night with heavy rain here in D.C. and across the mid-Atlantic with 2 to 3 inches of rain forecasted in this wet pattern we are in. Yay.


Above: the current (2208 UTC or 6:08PM EDT) regional radar mosaic for the Northeastern quadrant of the U.S.

There is a flood watch out and a tornado watch over parts of Virginia.

Here is a (blurry) picture I took of blue poison dart frog and a black - and - green poison dart frog below him. The picture isn't that great. These tiny dart frogs (of various colors) are among the most poisonous creatures on Earth -- apparently one has enough toxin to kill 10 people.

"So beautifully colorful yet so deadly to touch -- just like Mr. Sirius," I said jokingly while there, to which my friend LP responded, "Yeah, but he's not slimy all over and he doesn't breathe through this skin."

OK, that was funny, except I'm not supposed to mention him on this blog.

#############

I still haven't finished my edits on my section of my environmental group project course final report. That's the one about coal fires in China and India, and how a CDM or CDM-like project might be used for coal fire abatement and generating carbon emissions credits in the U.S.

The long-awaited debate on S.2191, "America's Climate Security Act of 2007," a.k.a. the Lieberman - Warner climate bill, is approaching. Bush would never sign it, of course, so its passage into law during the waning days of his regime are highly unlikely, but McCain has actually indicated tentative support for it and both HRC and OBAMA THE MESSIAH! both favorite it.

OK, that's all for now.

#############

Happy Mother's Day, mom.

--Regulus

##########

UPDATED: It has been a TREMENDOUSLY RAINY night with 3.72" at Dulles (IAD) and 2.62" of precip. (rain) at National Airport (DCA) since this event began around 4PM through the 1AM reporting hour. BWI has had less with 1.47", although in other years that would have been impressive.

Here is the radar mosaic for the NE quadrant of the U.S., 0418 UTC (12:18 AM EDT), May 12, 2008.

The main low has is centered near the lower Chesa - peake Bay and is pivoting in place with the heaviest rain right over us. It's quite remarkable in its way.

I haven't seen this kind of heavy rain since June '06, although DCA has had rain events that have been about as heavy since that time. But it's the first once since Gary and I got to run in the rain, leaping over puddles and getting soaked in the process since that time.

#################

Rainy, gloomy dusk -- as seen all blurry in my cellphone camera image -- in the 1900 block of New Hampshire Ave., NW, Washington, D.C., May 11, 2008, near where I currently live and across the street from where I used to live in the Harrowgate, pre-2004.

################

The rainy night intersection of New Hampshire Ave., NW, and 18th St., NW, Washington, D.C., May 11, 2008. It reminds me of a sort of "Great Gatsby" thing. I can't explain it.

#############


The 1700 block of Q St. NW, Wash. D.C., on this rainy night. Gary found a spot there and we ran in the rain -- unlike anything since June '06 when we rain from Larry's Lounge to Cobalt and A. gave us (dry) shirts because we were so wet -- to Cobalt, stopping at Safeway (and was it was cold in there, esp. as we were wet).

That's all for now.

--Regulus (again)

8 comments:

krzysztof said...

You mentioned Mr Sirius on this (relatively new) blog 11 times. That's not counting references to Deneb and not counting the comments. Although it is hard to believe I think you may have a bit of an unhealthy fixation on him.

fingers said...

FFS, Krzxxyshptoff...can you batter some sense into our friend here.
Unhealthy fixation ??
That's like describing Charlie Manson as a naughty boy.
Does anyone else find the purple-on-black difficult to read...

Regulus said...

Polska Kielbasa Krzysztof:: Princess, when I want your opinion, I'll give it to ya, and when I want ya to do Nexis and Google searches on my blog, I'll let NASA know it's being done on their dime. Uh oh.

Fingers: Purple on black?? Whatchoo talkin' about? My blog background is white.

Fine. I'll be more cognizant of my older readers visual impairment issues in my future use of colo(u)rs.

Slappy said...

Well somebody took their pissy pills this morning.

Rose: Hi, Blanche!
Blanche: Must you always be so cheerful, you empty-headed Mary Poppins knockoff?

Dorothy, to Blanche: Blanche, if you don't mind, I'm having a heart-to-heart with my mother. To Sophia: Now listen up, you withered old Sicilian monkey!

handmaiden said...

The frog exhibit sounds great! I hope they had tadpoles? I love tadpoles. I always thought if I ever got a tattoo (& I never will) I'd get one with a tadpole motif.

I just noticed that exhibit sounds sorta like ribitt (how ever you spell the sound a frog makes)

Tha BossMack TopSoil said...

Good Fucken Post ;-)

Regulus said...

Slappy: Me or Kristof?

Oh, yes, happy birthday, Slappy.

Handmaiden: I like frogs and toads, too. Indeed, my avatar includes Kermit the Frog, as well as Cookie Monster.

Ribbet.

Bossmack: Thank you, whoever you are. By the way, that's some blog you have.

fifi said...

Unhealthy isn't the word. Dont mention him, I hate him, he is an evil airheaded person.



I doooo like the rainy pictures though, very painterly (she says, calming down.)


I am currently in a painting frenzy and much stuff going on, so will email soon.